Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Holly Hills - South Salem

Bigcountry40

Yep. These pen raised birds wouldn't stand a chance. We just have way too many predators and not enough high quality cover.

So when we reintroduced turkeys to the state, their successful reintroduction was because they roost in trees, where as pheasants need great cover because they are a ground bird.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So when we reintroduced turkeys to the state, their successful reintroduction was because they roost in trees, where as pheasants need great cover because they are a ground bird.
That's probably a big reason for it. And the fact that turkey poults are only fair game for raptors for a small portion of their lives. I think there are probably a lot of factors, really. The other thing those western states have is a lot more food on the ground during the winter months.

tjeep

The only comparison between a preserve hunt and a wild bird prairie hunt, is the birds look the same and taste the same, but thats about all. Wild bird typically flush wild or run great distances to heavy cover. You need a pretty good dog not only to pin down the birds but mark and retrieve in heavy cover. Big difference hunting a 20yd wide stip of sorghum vs miles of Prairie grass and cattails. Nothing wrong with preserves, I use one to keep the dogs tuned up but you cannot compare the two. If you like upland hunting I would encourage you to go West, nothing like watching 200 + Phez get up at the same time.

HeartLunger

Finished product. They were delicious.

tjeep

There are Wild Phez in South Central Ohio, im not going to say a good popuation but there are birds. We kill a few roosters every year, I'm not talking about the released birds. The public land that holds wild birds gets lots of pressure. Best oppurtunity is early season on a week day! Be prepared to walk head high CRP, the more guys/dogs you have the better your odds. If you go solo work CRP in angle pushing birds out of cover to a fence row or open field.

Now Im Hungry!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
When my buddy and I hunted with Brock this year we stayed at Holly Hills. We didn't hunt birds because we there to deer hunt but I got a good look at his operation. It's top notch for sure. And if you decide to spend a night or two Deans wife makes the most unbelievable home cooked meals. We may not have had any luck with the deer that week but we sure ate good!

Oh and just listening to Dean is time well spent too. As Brock says, he is a world class redneck!.