Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2015 Season

Oct. 13, 2015 EVENING
Temp 58* Wind - Mostly Cloudy mostly W but variable at times
TRACTOR TO ROCK

A beautiful afternoon to be out. Hunted the outhouse from 3:45 to dark. Fairly after about 4:30, very cloudy. I had another doe semi bust me tonight as it approached from the north at 4:30. Another doe showed up just south of me at 5:15. I actually think it was the same doe that I saw at 4:30. I think she made a wide loop and approached me from the opposite direction. She came within about 30 yards of the stand and had her nose pointed upward and was working it overtime. She never spooked but worked her way east down to the creek bottom. I'm already questioning the move I made with this stand. I feel I may have set up to close to the low spot in the fence. The deer seem reluctant to commit to the crossing now. I'll see how things develop over the next six weeks.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They will get used to it quick, and likely you will be happy you made the move. I popped a groundblind the other day, I did not want to. That evening, I had a ton of deer come by. I wasn't hunting, but have a camera there. They looked it over really well, a couple even spooked but came back a little later. Inside of a week, I doubt they will even look that direction, which will be good since I plan to be in it! :) Good luck the rest of the season. It's great that we are just getting started!

Been quite busy so here is a quick recap of my last week or so.

Oct. 15, 2015 EVENING
Temp 65* Wind - S/SW Sunny
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from 3:45 to dark. Fairly windy most of the evening, very sunny. No deer sighted. Greg hunted the creek bottom and saw nothing.

Oct. 16, 2015 MORNING
Temp 44* Wind - Mostly Calm
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from daylight to 9:45. At about 9:00 had a deer run through Jack's field from east to west. This was the only deer I saw. Walked to look for rubs and scrapes. Found one started scrape on the north tractor path and another in front of Jeff's stand.

Oct. 19, 2015 EVENING
Temp 57* Wind - S/SW 10-20 Sunny
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from 2:45 to dark. Quite windy most of the evening, very sunny. I had a doe with two fawns show up just as I was ready to leave the stand. They appeared on Jack's side of the fence west of me. The doe jumped the fence west of the fence crossing right where the four point did on Oct. 11. She then came down the tractor path and offered a shot. She went to the TR and hung out for a minute or so. The fawns then jumped the fence where she did, but crossed in the brush west of the TR. Found the first rub of the year between the Big Rock and my stand.

Oct. 20, 2015 EVENING
Temp 68* Wind - S/SW 10-15 Sunny
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from 2:45 to dark. Fairly windy most of the evening, very sunny. No deer sighted. Greg hunted the creek bottom and saw nothing.

Oct. 11 - Oct. 20 CARD PULL

FENCE CROSSING Pulled the cards just before my afternoon hunt. Pretty good traffic the last 10 days. Had 4 unknowns, 13 does/fawns and 4 bucks come through. Almost all of the deer crossed at the low spot in the fence. No shooter bucks though.

CREEK BOTTOM A bit more deer traffic in the last 10 days. A good bit of traffic starting on the 18th. Also had some turkeys show up the one afternoon. Had 6 does/fawns and 3 bucks come through. A definate increase in bucks and does.

Oct. 22, 2015 EVENING
Temp 66* Wind - S/SW 5-10 Light Rain
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from 3:10 to dark. Fairly calm most of the evening. It rained lightly from 3:30 to about 4:15 which caused the temperature to drop. I saw a deer run east to west in Jack's hay field at 5:15. I thought I saw another deer in the same field at about 6:15, but wasn't sure what I saw.

Oct. 24, 2015 EVENING
Temp 60* Wind - S/SW 10-20 Light Rain
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from 4:00 to 6:30. Fairly windy most of the evening. I quit early to clear leaves from the creek before my tractor crossing got to deep. Nothing spotted tonight.

Time for an update. Life has been throwing me curves lately. My daughter had to have emergency surgery last week so I missed some time in the woods. She is doing just fine now though, thankfully.

Oct. 30, 2015 EVENING
Temp 58* Wind - S/SW 5-10
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Hunted the outhouse from 3:10 to dark. I mowed all the trails today. I saw a doe as I sat on my tractor at the big rock. At 5:10 I had a decent buck, possibly an 8 point travel to the west on Jack's side of the fence.

Nov. 1, 2015 EVENING
Temp 62* Wind - Light/Variable
WALKED IN

Hunted the creek bottom from 1:15 to dark. Fairly calm most of the evening. Nothing spotted tonight.

Nov. 2, 2015 MORNING
WALKED IN

Hunted the creek bottom from daylight to 10:45. At about 10:10 had a very nice, huge bodied, buck cross the hillside in front of the stand from north to south. He angled down the hill and ended up in the creek bottom on Jack,s or Adam's. This was the only deer I saw.

Nov. 6, 2015 EVENING
Temp 63* Wind - Mostly E/NE 5-10
TRACTOR TO TURNAROUND

Hunted the creek bottom from 2:15 to dark. Had a spike show up south of the fence at 4:10. I think he may have winded me. He never made it by me but angled towards the east and jumped the fence on to Adam's property.

Nov. 7, 2015 MORNING
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Just as I got to the rock the retainer ring on the front wheel of my tractor broke. Hunted the outhouse from daylight to 10:30. A crazy morning, bucks everywhere. Saw two 8 points and two spikes. Another small racked buck was the first deer I saw at barely light enough to make him out. Most deer were traveling north or south. The one eight point was traveling west on Jack's side. I believe this was the same buck that I saw there on Oct. 30th. Had a shooter follow a spike in from the north. They appeared out of nowhere near the TR area no chance for a shot.

Nov. 7, 2015 EVENING
Temp 52* Wind - Mostly W/SW 3-5
TRACTOR TO ROCK

After a redneck fix on the tractor and a quick lunch I hunted the outhouse from 12:10 to dark. Like someone flipped the switch, nothing sighted all afternoon.

Oct. 30 - Nov. 9 CARD PULL

FENCE CROSSING Pulled this card just before my afternoon hunt. My hunt on the morning of the 7th proves cameras don't catch everything. Only one of the deer I saw that morning tripped the camera. Not a lot of traffic the last 10 days. Had 8 does/fawns and 2 bucks come through. Almost all of the deer crossed at the low spot in the fence. No shooter bucks though.

CREEK BOTTOM A good bit of traffic in the last 10 days, but a lot at night. Also had some turkeys show up the one morning. Had 7 does/fawns and 7 bucks come through. A small increase in bucks and does. Only one decent racked buck came through.

Nov. 9, 2015 EVENING
Temp 54* Wind - Mostly Variable
TRACTOR PARKED AT BRIERS

Jeff and I hunted today. I took the tractor and trailer up to where Jim had cut the trees in September to help get stuff near Jeff's stand. I also dropped a new apple block off near the TR site. We got on stand around 2:15. The only deer I saw all afternoon. was the curved spike at around 4:10. Jeff had a basket 8 bed down in the top field for twenty minutes or so.

Nov. 10, 2015 EVENING
Temp 46* Wind - Mostly Variable
TRACTOR TO ROCK

Jeff and I woke up a 5AM this morning to a steady rain. We both decided to wait for the rain to stop, which it never did. At 2:00 we decided to hunt in the light rain. I never saw a deer. Jeff saw two bucks and 8 or so does just near dark. The one buck was an 8 point that had a huge body and a very wide rack. I believe this was the deer I saw on Nov. 2 while hunting the creek bottom. It nearly gave him a shot and then angled down towards my area. Unfortunately he never came by me.

Excellent report other than your daughter ending up in the hospital and the tractor tire. Thank goodness it sounds like it all has worked out though. Will keep your daughter in my prayers for a full recovery. Optimistic news on the big 8 you mentioned. Hopefully he sticks around and offers you or Jeff a shot!! Still time for a new giant to move in to the area too. Great luck to ya!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the persistence Dick. No matter how busy or slow your hunts, or what life throws at you, you stick it out. I like it! Good luck Sir!

Thanks for the comments fellas. My daughter and SIL have been trying to have a baby for a while. She finally got pregnant about six weeks ago. End up to be a disasterous and dangerous pregnancy and the baby had to be taken by surgery. A sad day for all of us. She lost one ovary and one fallopian tube in the surgery also. She is recovering fairly well though. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.