Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2016 Whitetail Journey

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice bucks Dick. The heavy 8 or 9 in the second pic would be my number 1 target. Looks mature enough too me! Good luck this year and enjoy your time on your own little slice of heaven!

He was my number two target last season Rick. I had him come by me in early November. He was hot on a doe and was moving to fast for a shot or I'd taken a crack at him. I was hunting Junior last season, but he seems to have vanished. Probably killed during gun season is my guess.

I'm to the point where I'm kinda done letting them grow. Who knows if they, or I, will be around for another season.

Well, my season is off to a slow start. I've yet to be in the woods due to the constant E NE winds we have had here. As bad as I want to hunt I'm not going to booger the area up by hunting dumb. About the time the winds are predicted to change the 70 degree temps are coming in. Sooner or later things will align. I'll be there when they do.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Well, my season is off to a slow start. I've yet to be in the woods due to the constant E NE winds we have had here. As bad as I want to hunt I'm not going to booger the area up by hunting dumb. About the time the winds are predicted to change the 70 degree temps are coming in. Sooner or later things will align. I'll be there when they do.

Ditto here. Good luck once the wind starts to straighten up!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I have yet to be in the woods as well Dick, holding off for cooler temps and closer to the rut.....
Years ago we did t hunt until the first Saturday of October so it's not to far off from where we used to be....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Sorry to hear it Dick. I haven't made it out yet either due to higher temps and rain. Im hoping to make it out this Friday.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

You're doing the right thing though Dick! It sucks for sure!

There is a solution though. Is there any place on your property that you can get into or out of and hunt undetected when the winds are out of ENE direction?

You're doing the right thing though Dick! It sucks for sure!

There is a solution though. Is there any place on your property that you can get into or out of and hunt undetected when the winds are out of ENE direction?

I do have a stand, Creek Bottom 2, that I can hunt with an E wind. But it is just a downfall that I can sit behind and hunt my creek bottom. Problem is over the years I've noticed the creek bottom is a bust for bucks until the last part of October. I'd rather stay out with an E wind for now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I do have a stand, Creek Bottom 2, that I can hunt with an E wind. But it is just a downfall that I can sit behind and hunt my creek bottom. Problem is over the years I've noticed the creek bottom is a bust for bucks until the last part of October. I'd rather stay out with an E wind for now.

Cool!!!

Nothing much to report here. The wife and I spent most of last week in Big Holla country. We spent the week touring Michigan seeing some sights, including a visit to Mackinac Island. I tried to connect with Chuck, but had already driven to far north when I contacted him, shucks.

Spent today doing a few chores at the cabin, glad I didn't hunt today. Pulled cards and was actually happy to see that I haven't missed much by not getting out yet. I worked on my creek bottom brush stand to hunt the E winds we have been constantly having. If all goes well I hope to hunt sometime early next week, but the temps don't look promising.

I can't believe I was photographing these the first week in October.

Attachments

• IMGP9933v2.jpg
    IMGP9933v2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 266