Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How big is your sight aperature?

How big of a sight window opening do you like?

• Larger window- 2" or more

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Smaller sight window >2"

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Big hole, small hole, I shoot them all. I don't think it matters.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am shopping for a sight for the new bow. I have always had the mindset of the larger the opening the better. Seems to make sense to me, but come to think of it, I have not really shot many with smaller openings. Maybe I would be more accurate with a smaller sight window?

Keep in mind, this is for hunting purposes only. Just curious what the other kids are doing.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Are you talking about peep app. size? I use a 1/4" peep for hunting to allow as much light in as possible, but usually the smaller the peep the more accurate bc of less slack/play room around the sight itself. Maybe this is not what you were talking about at all now that i see 2" +/- up top

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you're talking peep, I'm going bigger. The peep I currently use almost cost me my buck this year. I had a heckuva time finding him because it was early morning, shadows, fog, etc... lol

If you're talking regular site with pins, heck... I gotta look. I don't know how big it is (go ahead, insert joke here...).

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The sight housing (aperture is better suited for talk about peeps) on my Viper microTUNE is under 2" and I have no issues with it being that small. I believe it is right at 1.75" in diameter. I combine that with a Specialty Archery Super Peep with a 5 aperture kit that allows me change between 1/32", 3/64", 3/32", 1/16", and 1/8" apertures. The sight housing around the pins is not what will control accuracy, so being concerned about the size of it pertaining to such is not the worry to have. Where accuracy comes in to play is pairing the sight housing with the peep aperture. As a general rule of thumb, consider a 3/16" peep for 1 5/8" housing, 1/4" for 1 3/4", and 5/16" for 2" when pairing the two...

I shoot a peep aperture at a bare minimum that allows me to center the housing inside the peep. Some people will center a pin, or have it such that the housing is outside the peep. It matters not what the set up is in terms of accuracy, but that you do it every single time. Consistency in form is what leads to accuracy, not equipment and certainly not your sight housing...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
If you're talking peep, I'm going bigger. The peep I currently use almost cost me my buck this year. I had a heckuva time finding him because it was early morning, shadows, fog, etc... lol

If you're talking regular site with pins, heck... I gotta look. I don't know how big it is (go ahead, insert joke here...).

Don't worry Mike, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head either, fairly large though I think. I think I can safely say 2 inches or bigger and vote.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I do not have super crisp vision so I shot a HHA and love it.

I think it is about 2inch, and I can shoot the hell outta my bow with that site.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Phil.. Quit purse shopping and buy a sight man.. lmao

The only reason you need to care about such things is for two reasons.. 1. You plan on getting into serious "keep score" 3d shoots.. 2. You plan on killing deer at 60+ yards. For the guy who hunt's and flings 1-6 arrows on occasion this is like buying a corvette to go grocery shopping. Granted it's not a lambo, but an old beat up truck would suffice.

Just saying man. Find something with micro adjustments, and is slightly longer than standard hunting sights and you're golden.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Both my single up pin setup an the multi-pin sight housings are 2 inches in diameter...I shoot the biggest light gathering peep I can,while still allowing accurate peep to sight ring alignment

Yep.

2" aperature on the sight and 1/4" peep for me. The ring of the sight is just inside my peep ring when looking through it.

Buy that sight and a 1/4" peep and be done with it. If the peep seems to big you can get another for $5.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shut up Joe. Just because I till a 20x20 garden with a 3pt hitch, 5' tiller, doesn't mean you can't buy a Corvette to get groceries or a $150 sight to kill deer. lmao

You know me well enough to know I am going to over analyze everything! I want to maximize my opportunity. I want to minimize my costs. However, I am willing to spend an extra $20 here or there for a little better equipment. This is probably the first time I have ever analyzed my sight picture, peep size, and tried to inform myself on more than just the pin brightness. A few extra adjustments to be able to shoot more ergonomically correct, or maximize my ability to see the deer and float the pin. . . well, I guess I am willing to learn a bit and over analyze.:smiley_crocodile:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot a 1.75" housing and a 1/4" RAD Super Deuce peep, and my housing just barely fits inside my peep at full draw.

Keep in mind, Phil, that pairing your peep size to the housing will vary depending on draw lenth and anchor point.... because obviously, changing the distance between the housing and the peep, or the distance between your eye and the peep, will affect how everything "fits."

---

Oh and your poll choices are fugged up... >2" means greater than 2"... this < is the less than sign lol. Just saying... :)

Kaiser878

ohio
Phil,
I shoot a 3/16 peep on all my bows. Target and hunting. I usually dont have an issue of not being able to find my target in low light. As far as a sight goes it depends on how much you wanna spend. Cheaper is not always better, just the same more expensive is not always better either. WHen it comes to sighting my bows in and relying on my equipment staying "true" I am very particular. THere is one sight that Gives me everything I Want. DUrability, precision, micro adjusting and the use of no tools to adjust, except for single pin movement. I shoot the Axcell Armortech. THey are a little expensive, but you really have no reason to buy another sight for a very long time. WHen you pick one up and hold it, you will quickly figure out why they are so reliable. THey are a super solid and sturdy sight. There is really nothing on them that can break, unless u shove something really hard into the sight housing. I know Jimbo has one and loves it. You can get them custom ordered with whatever size pins and colors you want also. I have 5 .029 and 2 .010 on my hunting bow. THey make several different ones but I would recomend the armortech HD. The only difference in the armortech adn the Amortech HD is the presence of a harmonic dampner in the HD.

If you must have a giant peep (1/4 or bigger) than they make the armortech vision. WHich is just an armortech sight with a 2 inch sight housing. Which is obviously made for more light and bigger sight picture

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you Zac. I appreciate your time and information posted. Chalk another one up for the Armortech HD team. Sounds like a heckuva sight. Just cannot justify dropping the coin on such a thing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just an FYI, I picked mine up used on AT for $120

Dang! You out did me! Just found one for $150. I was wanting to stay in the $125-140 range. Then decided I was willing to spend a little more if it would be a sight that lasted me many many years. Found one on the net, NIB for $150 shipped. The one I bought was a 5pin black Armortech HD with .19 pins. Looking forward to dialing it in!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dang! You out did me! Just found one for $150. I was wanting to stay in the $125-140 range. Then decided I was willing to spend a little more if it would be a sight that lasted me many many years. Found one on the net, NIB for $150 shipped. The one I bought was a 5pin black Armortech HD with .19 pins. Looking forward to dialing it in!

Yeah, but mine was used and only a three pin. You will be very happy with the sight, I promise you that.

Kaiser878

ohio
Good choice Phil. You won't be dissapointed

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I guarantee you'll love that sight, Phil. Good find dude!