Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How'd this happen?

HeartLunger

Damn. We've thought about placing a coil spring by the snare, but decided that could capture non target animals.

HeartLunger

I'm thinking we might drive T-post in by the snare to give the coyote something to wrap around and strangle himself. Thoughts on this?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Might work, I'd make sure it isn't really shiny though, maybe wrap some vines around it. Brian might be able to chime in a little more on it. I wouldn't go digging up the ground to put in a foot hold though.

HeartLunger

You two are the best! Thanks for your willingness to help and share your knowledge. One of these days I actually catch one. ;)

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
It's been a slow year for sure. My honey hole in the fence set has had a snare set in it since the week of Christmas with nothing trying to go through it. With the snow I have seen one set of tracks. I was telling my buddy that I think a lot of the pups drowned in there dens when we got that six inches of rain in early June. I know we're knocking them back but somethings up. The way they make there dens in creek and ditch banks and the floods we got I could see how that would have killed some around here.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It's been a slow year for sure. My honey hole in the fence set has had a snare set in it since the week of Christmas with nothing trying to go through it. With the snow I have seen one set of tracks. I was telling my buddy that I think a lot of the pups drowned in there dens when we got that six inches of rain in early June. I know we're knocking them back but somethings up. The way they make there dens in creek and ditch banks and the floods we got I could see how that would have killed some around here.
Never thought of the bastards drowning like that.

HeartLunger

I wonder if they are avoiding the area now since you had a couple chew out.

I have another property I'm snaring on. I've got them set up on paths leading to dens. The only problem is there were no prints in the snow. But I read that they should start denning when they start breeding. Is this correct?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Coyotes run a loop on their territory. Sometimes it takes a week or so depending on how big their territory is until they come back around.