Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hoyts 2011 Hunting Log

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks fellas. Getting ready to head down to The Ridge for one last try at that stud down there before the orange army hits the woods. I am hoping for him as a birthday buck.

Just butchered up my doe yesterday. Got backstraps in a marinade for the big game today also. Be safe to all who are hitting the woods today.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Man I can't it believe its been since my b-day since I have logged anything on this thread. Heading down to the ridge after seeing some reassuring sign down there Friday evening. Stopped in to make sure nothing had been messed with and saw a fresh rub and scrape 20 yds. From my setup. Looks like someone made it through the week of gun.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Went out last Sunday for about a hour or so. Heard 12 shots in about 20 minutes. Didn't see anything.

Going down to the ridge this morning and taking a friend along that I have never got to hunt with before. He has yet to put one down in Ohio this year. It was Christmas eve last year when I finally got my first deer of the season so maybe it will work out for him also.

On another note. I got the time this past week to stop by and have the conversation with a land owner. I had permission to hunt there but he got a bur up his butte about a furnace I worked on and told me to never come back. Well amends have been made and it should be a short time till I am back hunting this property. This is the property neighboring the property those giant sheds came from that I posted a few weeks ago.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well last Sat. was a bust. Didn't see a dang thing but did manage to have a beautiful morning in the stand. I don't know if any of you remember me mentioning about the place by my in laws that was just getting decimated the past few seasons. I am talking 20 square yrd area with 10 or more deer carcases. My father in law know works with one of the guys and for some mysterious reason the guy hasn't killed a deer yet this year. :smiley_blackeye: GEE I wonder why? Anyways I have not hunted the farm across the street any this year due to low deer sightings last season. FIL told me on Christmas that he has been seeing a herd of some nice does over there so I went and hung a new set last night at Jacks. Right as I was finishing up I saw seven deer. 4 of which where nice big does. Going to go down there and see if there is any bone running around, and if one of those big nannys comes strolling through I will probably bust her TOO.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Went out to a property that I haven't hunted on for 2 years. Kinda had a falling out with one of the brothers that owns half the farm and finally made amends so I'm back in. It was a really good day that brought back many fond memories. This is the property that Austin really cut his teeth on as far as hunting goes. His first time in a treestand, his first archery kill, and his first buck. This is also the property that I harvested my largest buck to date on.

I sat in the stand that sat in when I killed my wide 12 pointer. Needless to say I didn't see anything. Wasn't really expecting to beings the sky was clear all night and the moon was right at full. Got out of the stand about 10 and took a little walk to do some scouting since it had been so long since I had been back there. While on my walk I found some very exciting signs. One being this. IMG_1173.JPG. I about crapped when I saw this and so fresh TOO. I know there are some biggins running this area it is just catching them while they are on their feet during day light hours(if they still are). I had some work to do at our church so I went and took care of that and got finished at about 2:30. Went to another property and took down that set since it has produced and I haven't hunted there for over a month. Went to this property and hung it. Got done about 4:25 and sat and enjoyed the sunset.

arial2.JPG

Here is the property. The yellow dot is the stand where I sat in the morning and got my buck from 2 years ago. The orange dot is where I hung the new set and found that rub. The purple dot is a blind on wheels that some guy uses. He has been hunting there almost 4 years and hasn't killed a deer yet. The green dot in the north west corner is where I had to park since everything is still so wet. I carried in one trip 28' of climbing sticks, a stand that is just like the Big Dog XL, my pack and my bow all the way to the orange dot. talk about a hike!!!!! That part sucked but I am happy it is done. That is where I will be this morning.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well my Sunday morning hunt didn't bring anything but a beautiful sunrise. Got to go back out to Close to Home thursady evening for about an hour and a half while it was raining. Thought with the cold front on its way in I might see some deer up on their feet. Saw 3 does. Mama picked me off while trying to get my bow off the hanger. It took about 2 seconds for her to bolt and the other 2 to follow.

Went out this morning looking forward to hunting in the snow. Saw four does and they where flighty as all get out. It is unfortunate that now that we have some good cold weather to get the deer moving I am also the guy on call. So needless to say I have service calls to run. Blah!!!! but I guess I will like it when I get my paycheck next week.

Deer - 72
Bucks - 22
Does - 43
Button Bucks - 3
Unknown - 2

Coyotes - 1
Groundhogs - 1

Shots Taken - 3
Hits - 2

Harvest
Doe - 2
Buck - 0

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Been out once since my last post for a evening hunt. Saw 7 deer right at last light out in the fields feeding but it was dark enough that I couldn't make out what they where. One looked like it was a big enough body that it could have been a buck. This was all at Close to Home.

Going down to The Ridge this morning. This will probably be the last hunt of the season for this property. If nothing produces then I will be back at Close to Home for the evening hunt. Might try and be mobile and do some spot and stalk as they start pouring into the field in the evening.

Deer - 79
Bucks - 22
Does - 43
Button Bucks - 3
Unknown - 9

Coyotes - 1
Groundhogs - 1

Shots Taken - 3
Hits - 2

Harvest
Doe - 2
Buck - 0

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well this morning was a great sit. I don't know what it is about being in a treestand when it is snowing but I love it. Sat till almost noon. Saw a total of 13 doe at The Ridge. Was sitting back in the woods around 4. This was at Close to Home. Didn't see a stinking thing until right at last light and then I saw 7 more doe. I know where they are coming out now and I think I am going to try and change my setup tomorrow and get one of the bigger does.

Deer - 99
Bucks - 22
Does - 63
Button Bucks - 3
Unknown - 9

Coyotes - 1
Groundhogs - 1

Shots Taken - 3
Hits - 2

Harvest
Doe - 2
Buck - 0

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Goodluck Steve, just be careful you don't shot a shed buck. If their in a group like that they prolly are does but stranger things have happened. Lol

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well today will be the last fling at it for the season for me. I am going to sit at The Approach this morning, then I have a calling hours to go to at 2 then hurry back and do an evening sit more than likely at Close to Home. I was able to fit in a sit the past two evenings at CtH with no sightings. So I don't know if going there this evening is a good idea or not so that is not set in stone. I guess we w ill see what plays out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck tonight Steve! Waiting on my sopping wet gear to get out of the dryer. Had to "condition" the washer and dryer with my hunting detergent and dryer sheets first, so it might be 230-3pm before I get back out. C'mon dryer! hahah