Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

huntin in the rain

swamp_donkey819

thinkin of goin out today just so i can hunt some more, supposed to rain all day, its not a down pour and not heavy just steady, ive shot deer before in the rain, but it was an off an on, tthe way i see it deer dont have homes to go to...what do you guys think, dead mission or worth a shot

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It looks like it will be over about an hour before sunset in my part of the state. I am wanting to be in the stand this evening TOO.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Are you just on a kill mission? doe, buck, whatever? if so then I say hunt... if your after a particular deer then I would check the radar and see what its going to look like where your hunting throughout the night and make your decision off that. Good luck either way!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've had a several action-packed hunts during a light rain. The only problem is the blood trail. If you end up shooting at one, and somehow make a less-ideal-shot, you may wish you would have stayed home instead. If you're gonna hunt in the rain, be damn sure you make a good shot.

swamp_donkey819

well i gave it shot, was out to get a doe, turns out i didnt see anything at all besides some chipmunks, but gave me a better view of how they move in the rain, which today they didnt move at all so hung up a trail cam at a new spot with some evercalm in front of it. it started as a light rain but when i got in the woods it all let loose finally stopped about 6:40 or so, still didnt improve my chances

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It ended up stopping around 4:30 for me. Wasn't in the stand till about 6:20. Had a nice 8 pointer sneak in on me at 15 yards about 15 minutes after I was in the stand. He caught some of my movement and buggered out. I wouldn't have shot him but was still a cool encounter.

swamp_donkey819

awesome hoyt encounters are better then seein nothing, its supposed to be a light rain tomorrow so thinking ill hit up the cloverfield or corn field before daylight and then maybe jump into some woods caome day break, i do alot of spot and stalk so im always jumping areas