Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Season Fitness

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Just curious if anyone hits the gym a little more before deer or any other hunting season?

I didn't do a lot of research, but I totally agree with this article about the chances of having a heart attack while hunting are greater than getting hit by a stray bullet.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/10/27/hm.hunter.hazards/

I'm sure most of us are young and in good shape, but I know and met several other hunters who are LARGE and a simple walk through the woods was exhausting to them. I remember about 15 years ago I was in Maryland during the gun season and the place I was hunting was being driven by some locals (they had permission to be there too). One guy was close to 400 pounds and had just walked a maybe a quarter mile in some tough terrain. He was in BAD shape and not doing good. I swear he was getting ready to die and everyone was scrambling to get him a 4x4 to get him out of the woods. They got him out and I believe he was OK, but that memory is one I'll never forget.

Also dragging a deer, climbing a tree, walking with all the extra gear on is physically tough. Walking through the woods isn't the same as walking down the street. Just raising your feet 5 to 10 more inches uses your leg muscles in ways you aren't used too and takes more energy. Add mud, snow, and some blow downs and its even worse.

Deer hunting isn't like elk hunting so you obviously don't have to train hard for it, but if you are outta shape then fitness can still impact your hunting. Something as simple as taking 30 minutes for a simple walk through the woods or a short hike with a small pack can do a lot. Another thing is that if you are fit you aren't going to be as winded or sweaty when you get into your stand. You'll also enjoy your hunting trip more because you won't be tired and sore either. Hell it might even save your life.

Anyway, most of you know I'm going elk hunting next month. I was sick during July and it really killed my fitness level. I'm slowly building back up and I'm fixing to do a 10-15 mile mountain bike ride for today's cardio. I've been dealing with back and knee problems too. I can't stress how a strong core and legs impact your overall fitness. It's great to bench 300 pounds, but if your legs and core are week then so aren't you. For the past 10 months I modified my work outs to using much lighter weight and doing a lot of leg and core work. My back and knee problems are still there, but they aren't as painful know.

Sorry for the long thread, but I figured I'd see what everyone else thought about this topic.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
There was a really good article on the subject in the July issue of North American Whitetail. It basically said that as a group, deer hunters are generally in poorer physical condition than the guys who hunt elk, muleys... That employ a spot and stalk type of hunt. The author mentioned an outfitter that intentionally put his shooting range on top of a hill. He wants his hunters to go up and shoot to make sure the equipment was dialed in. In the process the outfitter also had a chance to see who could make it to the top of the hill without keeling over so he could see who was in good enough shape to hunt some of the more remote and difficult to get to areas. The ones that really struggled to get there had to hunt in easier accessed areas that might not hold the big boys.

i got to thinking about this. hes right! A lot of the guys I know that hunt deer (including myself) are in horrible shape. I know I had a tough time with some of the hills at strouds.

The article also cautioned not to have high expectations right away. start out with just trying to loose some weight, maybe a minute or two on a treadmill. Then gradually work up to more difficult exercises.
I know I really need to make a serious commitment to get in better shape. not just for hunting, but in general. At 43 years old, I figure I'm at the point where its now or never. if i wait any longer it will just be even more difficult to make the changes that i need to make.

Great topic by the way.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've been doing a lot of research and talking to sheep hunters. It never fails that within 5 minutes of conversation they ask what kinda of physical shape I'm in. Last year on my NM elk hunt we had to have a guide for two days of our hunt (got our tags through an outfitter and NM law requires them to provide two days of service which is usually a check in. In this case Raul loves hunting elk and wanted to hunt this area so he hunted with me for a day.). After introductions Raul asked what kinda shape I was in. He said you have ask because elk hunting can be tough and he wanted to know in advance what your capabilities were.

I just did 13 miles on my bike. My legs feel like rubber.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I made the commitment to stay fit year round years ago. Increasing my cardio a bit is where I need to go right now. You're right about the weights. Loose the ego.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
A few years back I started doing circuit work outs over regular weight lifting. The circuits really get your heart rate up especially when you add some sort of leg exercise to it.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I try to get some kind of exercise year round, at least a few times per week. The past few months I've really been working more on cardio & less on weights. I actually haven't lifted since May, but still do push ups several times a week. The cardio is an area that I always struggle with in the winter tough. Sure, hunting give you a good work out, but I need to stick with it more so during hunting season. Here's what my week usually consists of:

Monday - Short run 1.5 to 2 miles
Tuesday - Push up / Crunch rotation (4 to 6 sets 25 push ups / 50 crunches)
Wednesday - Long run 3 to 3.5 miles
Thursday - Push up / Crunch rotation
Friday - Short run & Push up / Crunch rotation
Weekends - Rest periods

Every week differs though. Last week I did 2 long runs on Monday & Friday, plus 2 days with short runs mixed into 3 days doing the push up / crunch thing. The more I do, the better I feel, and the further I seem to push myself.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I try to get some kind of exercise year round, at least a few times per week. The past few months I've really been working more on cardio & less on weights. I actually haven't lifted since May, but still do push ups several times a week. The cardio is an area that I always struggle with in the winter tough. Sure, hunting give you a good work out, but I need to stick with it more so during hunting season. Here's what my week usually consists of:

Monday - Short run 1.5 to 2 miles
Tuesday - Push up / Crunch rotation (4 to 6 sets 25 push ups / 50 crunches)
Wednesday - Long run 3 to 3.5 miles
Thursday - Push up / Crunch rotation
Friday - Short run & Push up / Crunch rotation
Weekends - Rest periods

Every week differs though. Last week I did 2 long runs on Monday & Friday, plus 2 days with short runs mixed into 3 days doing the push up / crunch thing. The more I do, the better I feel, and the further I seem to push myself.

And this folks is why I have a man crush. Lol

I started back up with the wife today. I rode 11 miles on the bike and will do 5 sets of 20 pushups and an up/down cycle of some kind.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Push ups, crunches and 1.5-2 mile run 4 times a week.... I start in march and usually carry it through October with periodic bouts through out season lol

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I decided to take a "light pack" with me today on my trail cam check'

[video=youtube;X7i6-02L7YU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7i6-02L7YU[/video]

spent about 2 hours with her riding along today. could have gone more myself, but she was getting tired.

teej89

NE PA
Good topic! My old man and I are going spot and stalk mule deer in SD next fall then elk in CO the following fall. I being a workout-aholic whipped him up a workout plan and a nutrtion plan(this guy eats potato chips like its his job haha) and he used to have back problems and after working out for the past couple months he said he's feeling great. 61 years old biking 15+ miles a couple times a week as well as hitting the free weights those days, Im proud of him!

And Working out will give you better posture and those long days in the stand won't be as hard on your back. But my suggestion would also be to workout core and legs. Step ups, lunges, planks, goblet squats(just a squat holding a DB up near your face, google it haha), hill climbing with some weights(can easily be done when checking trail cams, pack your BP with corn or whatever but make sure it fits snug so it's not "hanging" off ya) this is good for your legs as well as your core. Push ups, if you struggle doing regular pushups put your hands on the first couples steps up on the stairs and do push ups. Slowly work your way down to doing actual pushups(sorry that's a crummy description haha) also when doing pushups make sure your elbows are not perpendicular to your spine this is real bad on your shoulders, instead have them pointed slighty back towards your hips. If you want anymore recommendations on works outs or whatever just shoot me a PM I'd be glad to help.

Funny this topic can up cuz today I walked a little over a mile with 50# bag of corn over my shoulders plus a backpack with a trophy rock and two ten pound bags of minerals and 2 cameras haha

Last edited:

rooster85

Lake County
I work out and run 5-6 miles most days. When i lived out west id strap on a ruck and hit the mountains every week. Nothing better than being in the mountains. Now that I'm out here in the flat land i'll just keep to running and working out, cant do much else.

Huckleberry Finn

Yup there's a reason I walk with an incline on the treadmill at a mall walking pace instead of running. 1) I hate it 2) There ain't no running in the deer woods.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
This is something I really have to get after, after laying around since January from having the hips replaced I am seriously out of shape and cant believe how weak my legs are when it comes to walking any distance. My weight has stayed the same but its unbelievable how winded I get when doing anything that exerts me, my therapist says to continue walking every evening but it seems like a long road, I will be keeping an eye on this thread to pick up some tips.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yup there's a reason I walk with an incline on the treadmill at a mall walking pace instead of running. 1) I hate it 2) There ain't no running in the deer woods.

I agree. I rarely run anymore. The incline will get your heart rate up right quick and it's easier on 40 year old knees.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
This is a good thread.
I've let myself go and have only started to get a grip in the last 2 weeks.
Maybe the dropped weight will improve my nasty attitude of late as well...:smiley_blackeye:

joejoe8

2011 I had a stand that I knew could be unreal good. The problem, it was 1:15 walk from the truck mostly up hill. By the time I made it there, I could fill my heart beat in my brain lol. I'm a flatlander so Se Ohio hills are a killer. I promised myself that my body would be the best shape it had ever been the next season. Dropped 30lb over the next 10 months. Wieght training an incline with 20lb backpack. I killed out of that stand the 5th sit. Not my biggest buck but one I'm very proud of. I lost 7 more lb's in that 10 days, when I got home my wife said I looked like a crack head lol.

I've been working out. I don't like lifting weights. I do a lot of body weight stuff sit-ups pushups pull ups ect. I get in the mountains at least twice a week and do a 7-15 mile hike with a 60 pound pack. I run two miles once a week.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I've cut back on the lifting part and tried to focus more on the cardio to prepare for the upcoming season. At 42 I am rethinking my fitness goals after a discussion with my heart Dr, I was 240 lbs in Feb and he asked me to drop some weight. Last visit I was 215lbs, I do cardio at lunch M-F for 45 mins then lift weights M-W-F after work. As long as your doing something its better than nothing....