Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I sure miss ol # 11

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm heartbroken ol uncle josh doesn't make the old #11 frog back pork rinds any more.
I had a supply I have been using and went to pickup a couple more yesterday and discovered they stopped making em.
I feel like my "secret bass weapon is lost forever. All my life I have used a Johnson spoon and frog back pork rind as my go-to bait when nothing else worked.

http://www.onthewater.com/after-93-years-uncle-josh-to-stop-producing-pork-rinds/

So what's an
Alternative?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
They make soft plastics that replaced it that seem too work pretty well...

Gulp makes a like substance that people are saying works well, but I won't allow it in my boat as if you spill it, the stain and stench stays a long time lol....

Google Berkeley Gulp baits and it'll show you what they have on the market....

Johnson spoons were killer bass baits in the day.... Sometimes I wonder how they'd fair these days if fishermen would be forced to go retro??? lol

Did you ever try the #11 frog on a Johnny O'Neil Weed Wing skittering across the surface. This was my go to lure in the 70's. You had to cut half the thickness of the pork chunk off so the "froglegs" wiggled well. I can still hear the chatter of the front two bladed prop churning through the spatterdocks.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Did you ever try the #11 frog on a Johnny O'Neil Weed Wing skittering across the surface. This was my go to lure in the 70's. You had to cut half the thickness of the pork chunk off so the "froglegs" wiggled well. I can still hear the chatter of the front two bladed prop churning through the spatterdocks.

Never tried that. Always the silver minnow. Can skip it under a low limb over the water or cast it into the thickest lilies and work it back. There is not much more exciting than a bass blasting up through the pads to get that bait!

J; I throw a fair amount of rubber stuff but never on the silver minnow. Guess I'll have to have you spend a day teaching this old dog some new tricks. :smiley_baby:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nostalgia be damned. I hated those friggin things. Some of then were so tough you could hardly run a hook through them. And God forbid you let one dry out on a jig. Might as well just throw the whole thing away at that point. Soft plastic is the only way to roll. I know I know... Young whippersnapper. Lol. Believe me I know the magnitude of losing these things. My dad raised me on bass fishing and he swore on #11 pork.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you wanna fish a frog type bait, you can't beat the weedless rubber frogs made by River2Sea or Spro or Live Target.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Most of the guys I fish with use the Spro.....
They were a game changer when they first came out. The weedless frogs of the past we're total garbage... Unrealistic, poor action, and the stiff rubber made for horrendous hook-up percentages. Today's frog baits are some fish catching sumbitches.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I do to J.
As many times as it happens, it still always startles me.
Like stepping on a grouse when they explode out! Lol