Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

IB's trapping thread

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Skinned out 5 of them. The 6th didn't have the best color and was missing some fur on its lower back, so didn't make the cut.
Shea wants to get her favorite one of the bunch tanned, so even less of a money making venture.....

IMG_7366.jpg

I use a skinning machine to make things a bit easier. Here are a few pics of it in action today.

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7364.jpg

I got it from this fella. Check out how it works if you would like. The first clip is a nice instructional on how to skin one out with the machine. The second clip shows just how fast it can be done (and no, I aint that fast).

https://youtu.be/460IRmBeNds

https://youtu.be/45RfIFvgudM

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Picked up 3 on today's check, all in different locations than yesterday.
Shea and I also set some more traps so we have 50 out now. She is already asking about tomorrow's check.

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_7372.jpg

IMG_7373.jpg

Guarded this mongo coon trail with a 220 today (set in about the middle of the pic). One sure would think we should have one here tomorrow???

IMG_7375.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Very cool that Shea gets to join you! I had my daughter with me on my first yote catch. Definitely something I won't ever forget! Lots of fun memories you guys are making, along with good old fashioned quality time!

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Had 5 on today's check.

This one was a hog. It had a bunch of missing hair in it's back, so Shea thought we should let it go. I complied......

IMG_7388.jpg

Had my first blind 220 connect. Nothing better than a clean, dead coon. It was a real big sow with great color.

IMG_7390.jpg

If you look close you see the pan on this blind 1.5 set. It is between the corn cobs.

IMG_7392.jpg

My little helper!

IMG_7393.jpg

And the tailgate shot.

IMG_7396.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome stuff man. Nothing better than seeing the younguns get involved. That was a pig of a coon. Too bad it was rubbed.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
3 coons today. I didn't take many pics as Shea had a deadline to be back home, but she wanted to come along for the check.

We caught this one in the blind 1.5 set I posted yesterday. It was a dink, so we let it go.

IMG_7398.jpg

Also had this surprise. I didn't bring the 22 along, so had to return later by myself to dispatch it. I did it from about 25 yards with a sub-sonic and he did not spray. I think the trick is to not get them fired up just before dispatch. It is about as nice striped and big of a skunk out there, so I decided to skin it out for tanning (did it at the farm in order to not chance stinking the garage/house up). It's the first one I've ever skinned and it didn't go too bad!

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg

I also spent a few minutes mowing off some more corn and re-positioning one of the bale blinds. Shotgun season opens out here this Saturday and my girls both still have their youth tags!

IMG_7418.jpg

I pulled everything today too. It was a fun four days with Shea!

Last edited: