Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Imox Herbicide

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's called EsplAnade SC from Bayer. Broad spectrum pre emergent herbicide. $369 a quart 😅.

https://www.forestrydistributing.com/esplanade-200-sc-herbicide

Screenshot_20201218-084450_Drive.jpg

Stressless

Keene, OH
Just a note or two on Esplanade_200_SC_Herbicide if using on a food plot... and you want to eat the critters eating off that food plot.
---------------------------------------------------
Use Restrictions: Do not apply to frozen or snow covered ground.Do not graze or feed forage, hay, or straw from treated areas to livestock.

Precautions: Avoid application to powdery, dry, light or sandy soil when there is little likelihood of rainfall soon after application. Injury to crops or desirable vegetation may result if treated soil is washed, blown, or moved into these areas.If planning to plant desirable species in the treated area, avoid planting for at least eight months after application. A field bioassay must then be completed before planting. To conduct a field bioassay, grow to maturity test strips of the species you plan to plant. The test strips should cross the entire area including knolls and low areas. Response to the field bioassay will indicate whether or not to plant the species grown in the test strips. If no injury (such as poor germination, stunting, chlorosis, malformation, or necrosis) the species grown in the test strips may be planted.
--------------------------------------------------

I put up the details as there were a ton of folks posting and looking for info on IMOX, Deerbuilder, Bowhunter, archery talk etc forums that were all sorts of confused on How, When,and What with IMOX/Raptor GPA and mix rates. I hadn't seen any explanation of it of "how to" to try and get it dialed in. I hope it helps a couple folks trying to get better at wildlife management.

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
@Henry III

Question 1 - Last year why did you decide to split apply IMOX(4/22) and Ammonium Sulfate(5/1)?

Question 2 - what led you apply 50#/acre of Ammonium Sulfate? Results speak for themselves in your plot whihch looks great - but the IMOX/RAPTOR label calls for ~13.5#/100 gallons at 20 gallons/acre that's ~4#/acre which is what I applied.

From the RAPTOR label: Nitrogen Fertilizer. Recommended nitrogen-based fertilizers include liquid fertilizers [such as liquid ammonium sulfate (AMS), 28% N,32% N, or 10-34-0] at 2.5 gallons/100 gallons of spray solution. Instead of liquid fertilizer, spray-grade ammonium sulfate may be used at 12 to 15 pounds/100 gallons of spray solution.

Getting ready to apply IMOX again in a week or so and last year I combined IMOX and Ammonium Sulfate - which didn't have a great effect on about half my plots... your plot looked great and wondering if you have an update on that. My neighbor just put in 73 acres of Alfalfa/BFT and Clover for hay/ draw and we're looking at your IMOX recipe.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Last year there was a lot of threads out there about IMOX with guys unhappy with the results on their clover/chicory plots. I sprayed IMOX with ammonium sulfate on April 19 last year and about the same time in 2020.

Many folks are still in winter mode but IMOX works best when the grass and weeds are tiny. I'll be planning to spray around the 3rd week of April. If you get it applied really early it works great. if you wait until the weeds and grass are half a foot tall your results will be disappointing. Just a heads up.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Stressless

Keene, OH
Very impressed with IMOX application of 8oz/acre with crop oil and ammoinium sulfate. The application was a bit too hot and I applied just after the frost seeded legumes were popping so two mistakes. ...but.. it retarded the intial growth and I think the wet spring made thedifference between a really bad catch and a decent one - which is what I got. I'll make it at about 7oz/acre next year and see how that resoponds. This year but I hit all my plots which I restored to legumes of clovers, chicory and birdsfoot trefoil. A good experiment is these two - an established plot "bottom" last year and a brand new legume plot extending Bottom plot. Both Bottom and the Extension got frost seeded on 3 Mar and ~ 8# and 16 #/ acre.

20220414_123719.jpg

45 days of so after applying IMOX Bottom plot is doing great with few weeds and the new plots is filling out nice...

IMG_0166.JPG

The line that IMOX made as an application between the established clover and where I'm trying to build OM in the soil. There was rye spread at the same rate across the whole plot.

PICT0778.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla and 5Cent