Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalopes 2018 Turkey Scouting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Found a Tom and a Jake this morning.
20180331_065527.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looking or should I say sounding good... Good Luck this season... I might have to go listen in the morning...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Alex and I split up this morning to listen to two different spots. I had some hens on the Tom sounding off and he didn't hear a thing. So far we have located three birds. We have two other spots that hold birds every year and one new spot that has potential but we haven't listened to yet.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The crows were screwing with the roosted birds this morning. Nothing like having a natural locator call. We ended up hearing 4-5 Birds. Three were roosted on a ridge about a hundred yards apart and one further on down the valley. A couple times we swore ww heard one on further out also.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They sure are fired up! Two weeks into spring and there’s still snow on the ground. Unbelievable!

Yeah really gets a guy pumped for season. Lol. We hit the call a couple times this mornong and it shut the birds up. They went quiet until the crows started messing with them. They're not even close to ready.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Isaacorps

Columbus
The crows were screwing with the roosted birds this morning. Nothing like having a natural locator call. We ended up hearing 4-5 Birds. Three were roosted on a ridge about a hundred yards apart and one further on down the valley. A couple times we swore ww heard one on further out also.

Good stuff!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My typical season...

Not saying you don't do this but switch it up. We've gone through almost every call in both of our packs to find one that made a bird gobble. Probably tried 9 different slate, glass, and mouth calls. He eventually responded to an old lynch slate i had that was probably 25 years old. Alex shot him as he slipped by, ended up being a damn jake that was being that stubborn. It's not often that we need to switch it up, but when we do you find out quick why turkey hunters carry an assortment of calls. Place looks like a yardsale with stuff laying strewn about. Lol.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Not saying you don't do this but switch it up. We've gone through almost every call in both of our packs to find one that made a bird gobble. Probably tried 9 different slate, glass, and mouth calls. He eventually responded to an old lynch slate i had that was probably 25 years old. Alex shot him as he slipped by, ended up being a damn jake that was being that stubborn. It's not often that we need to switch it up, but when we do you find out quick why turkey hunters carry an assortment of calls. Place looks like a yardsale with stuff laying strewn about. Lol.
I carry three pot calls and six or seven strikers. Each striker makes a different sound. The strikers that sound the best with a particular pot will get a piece of colored tape....lets say green and the pot gets a green...another pot/striker that sounds good gets another piece of colored tape...usually brown. Every pot will get matched up with the striker that makes the best sound. Some strikers work well on several pots so they may have a green and brown tape on it. This way I can just glance at the pot and pick out the best striker to use just by matching up the colored tape. I can sound like a whole flock of turkeys with one pot and several strikers that work well with that particular pot. I also carry a couple mouth calls and a box call.

Reactions: Jackalope

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
[

No truer words Joe... I just bought a new vest this year and mainly so it'll carry all my Tuskey River strikers LOL.. My vest is packed with more shit than a guy would need in a lifetime of hunting LOL... But like you say their are days when it might be the last call in your pack that gets him in kill range...