Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jake's Journal

Jake_C

Good luck with the interview Jake

X2.... Knock their socks off Jake....

Good luck Jake.

Good reads, Jake. I'll be following along.

Good luck on the interview. Hope it works out for you.

Good luck, Jake!

Thanks guys. I must not have bombed it too bad. They asked me to drive to Dayton for a face to face with the big guy.

Now I'm going to de-stress, spend some time with the kids and wife around a bon fire, and hopefully get on stand in the morning.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks guys. I must not have bombed it too bad. They asked me to drive to Dayton for a face to face with the big guy.

Now I'm going to de-stress, spend some time with the kids and wife around a bon fire, and hopefully get on stand in the morning.

[emoji106]

Jake_C

Found some doe beds this morning... while mowing my lawn! They love to hang out between the pond and the apple trees most evenings. Fugger's destroyed my garden this year so I'm thinking about putting an arrow in one when they walk by the front porch ;)

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville

Found some doe beds this morning... while mowing my lawn! They love to hang out between the pond and the apple trees most evenings. Fugger's destroyed my garden this year so I'm thinking about putting an arrow in one when they walk by the front porch ;)

Good luck, dude. Get r done

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It'd have been funny if you did the interview from the treestand and was whispering thru the whole thing and the interviewer kept saying, "Can you speak up, I can't hear you! Why are you whispering anyway?!?!"

And you responded, "Cuz I have a shooter just out of bow range and I think he might commit and come on in!" Can I call you back?"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It'd have been funny if you did the interview from the treestand and was whispering thru the whole thing and the interviewer kept saying, "Can you speak up, I can't hear you! Why are you whispering anyway?!?!"

And you responded, "Cuz I have a shooter just out of bow range and I think he might commit and come on in!" Can I call you back?"

All good if he hunted and understood the predicament lmao.... Not so much if he didn't lol

Jake_C

I thought about doing it from my truck in the pull off spot so I could hop out and head to the woods as soon as the call was over, but I figured I'd better have work on the brain instead of hunting! Lol. I don't think the Boss is a hunter, but I've never talked to him about it. Some guys surprise you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I thought about doing it from my truck in the pull off spot so I could hop out and head to the woods as soon as the call was over, but I figured I'd better have work on the brain instead of hunting! Lol. I don't think the Boss is a hunter, but I've never talked to him about it. Some guys surprise you.

Impress him with your job performance and he may share his 500 acre lease... Just sayin lol

Jake_C

I was able to get back in a tree today. The spot seemed prime, the wind was just right that I thought the deer would feel they had the wind advantage, but I could still play it just enough to get in range... but, I got skunked! I did see some "deer like" forms at about 80 yards in the last fifteen minutes of shooting light but i won't count that.

Today will be my last day in a stand for around 10-14 days due to work and family obligations. To be honest, I'm ready for a break. I don't want to get burned out or burn my spots out this early in the season.

Good luck to everyone following along.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Fur will be flying when you're able to get out next time so enjoy the family and getter done at work cuz it'll be here before you know it!

Jake_C

Well I got the "unofficial" offer on that job I interviewed for on Monday. I'm just waiting on the actual offer letter now. To celebrate I'm going to cut out a little early today and finally get back in the woods! I worked it out so I can take off at 1330, be home by 1400, be showered, loaded and on my way to the woods by 1430! It's supposed to be ridiculously windy, but i'm going to give it a shot anyway. I'll finally get to try out some of my mid-season gear and NOT get pestered by mosquitoes!!!

Jake_C

I haven't made any entries to my journal lately. I'm sitting here in Romeoville IL. babysitting a customer site with nothing to do so I thought I'd fill in what little I've missed.

As far as hunting goes, I've only managed to make it out twice since last post. saw a couple of does each sit. They were too far for a shot on both occasions, but, since I'm hunting public land I consider every deer sighting a victory.

The action seemed to be starting to heat up as of my last sit in the woods. I noticed several scrapes and fresh rubs that were not there the last time I had walked through the area.

I received, and accepted, the official offer letter for the promotion I interviewed for and I'm currently off training for and performing that job. That's what has me over here in IL. So far, so good. Major raise, company car, phone, the whole 9. Definitely the right call for my family but it has put the squeeze on my hunting time.

I've looked behind every tree I've come across here in IL and I haven't seen a 200" deer anywhere. I guess they must be as elusive as all those 200"ers we have running around in Ohio. Hoping to be back before the weekend and I'm trying to talk the boss into giving me a 4-5 day weekend. I'll probably spend 2-3 just hanging out with the wife and kids but would like to get at least one all day sit in regardless of weather. I have a couple of spots that are as far from the road as you can get, that I've been saving for the rut. I found lots of last years sign in there during my scouting so I'm hoping I can still make it happen this year or at least get a doe for the freezer.

Good luck to anyone following along.