Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse...I need your help!

I need the recipe for your marinade for your delicious backstraps that you made at the TOO campout. I'm hosting some friends this weekend and want to spoil them to some mouth watering backstraps. Beer will be involved so even if they turn out like a rubber tire no one is gonna know the difference.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
48-72 hours in this...

I add enough marinade to cover the loins, along with a pinch of red pepper flake and a tablespoon or so of fresh garlic. You can either wrap it in foil with a stick of butter and a yellow onion, then sit on the grill on medium eat until done to your liking. Or my preferred method is to sear it on each side for 2 minutes over high heat, then let it cook over low-medium heat for 10 minutes or so, then check for doneness. The biggest thing to remember is to let it sit at least 5 minutes before cutting, that will lock the juices in and you'll get what we downed at the campout...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sit right over the hottest part of the fire for 2-3 minutes a side, so 5-6 minutes total over high heat. Then move it to the outer part of the fire and let it sit for 8 minutes or so, then check it. It doesn't take long to cook after a good sear and you should be able to cook to you liking doneness wise once you check it at the 8 minute mark...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And for god sakes leave it pink in the middle. Deer should be medium rare.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What I had at your place Jesse was by far the best I've had and Im assuming you used the same stuff...

Yes. It's a killer marinade and when cooked properly, there is no better meat to pair it with than deer loin IMO. I love making a gravy with the juice after doing one in tin foil. Add the juice to a pan along with the onions, then build a gravy. Serve with garlic bread and taters. Dang...

I just wet myself...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I always took shit for "making a good wife someday". I started doing my own laundry at 12. I'm a neat freak and I love to cook. And I don't suckle weiners, so I guess I would be a good wife!!! :smiley_crocodile:

Diablo54

Outside
I always took shit for "making a good wife someday". I started doing my own laundry at 12. I'm a neat freak and I love to cook. And I don't suckle weiners, so I guess I would be a good wife!!! :smiley_crocodile:

But you will take one right? Thats what flutey told me