Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2016 Hunting Adventures

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have made poor shots and recovered deer. I have made "good" shots and watched them go several hundred yards spraying blood. I shot one 2 1/2 weeks ago too far back. Direct liver hit. No lungs. No guts. FELL. ON. HER. NOSE. In 30-40yds. 20-30min later she got up and walked away. I was fortunate to recover her 200-300yds away. If not for Hank I would not have found her. I've got nothing Jesse. Some of the things arrows do upon entry just blows my mind.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been on shit track jobs due to guns, it's just easier to run them down and finish what you started. And yes, it lacks the satisfaction. Bowhunting is not as fun as gun hunting to me. But shooting a deer with a gun is less satisfaction because it's easier.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Been a couple weeks since I've updated this, but not much happened since the last update! We did venture out on a couple of hunts as a family, which was really the highlight of the season so far!

I did shoot a doe behind the house on Sunday for the meat. LuLu and K helped track her down and K helped with the gut job. She loved being out there with me on the recovery and is now where her deer sticks! :smiley_clap:

2016 Stats

Antlerless Sightings: 40
Bucks Sightings: 16
Different Bucks: 11
Shooters Seen: 4
Total Sightings: 56

Deer Killed: 1

Morning Hunts: 10
Evening Hunts: 10
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 3
Total Hunts: 20

Hours on Stand: 60

Average Time Per Hunt: 3 Hours
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: <1

Buckmaster

Portage

Attachments

• Jesse.jpg
    Jesse.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 304

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Really haven't given deer a second thought since gun season as it's been all about ducks/geese. I'm going to take K to the farm to check cams today in preparation for muzzy season. Hoping to get Tracie on a deer. We could use another for canning, so it's up to her to get it done on Saturday. As for my hunting, I plan to hunt some new properties, maybe even some public and will shoot the first deer with antlers I get a shot at from here on out. It appears I can't shoot does ever again without fear of ridicule and apparently I'd be better off shooting bucks on property that's not mine for meat in order to keep the pundits from crucifying me. So you may see me pose behind a public land spike before the season is over...