Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mineral Article: DIY Style

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is an article I wrote this spring for another endeavor and I've been meaning to post it here on TOO. This is a slimmed down version of my two part article on DIY minerals. Nothing new here for most of you, but I put a lot of work in this and nothing ever came of it, so I'd like to put it here so it at least gets some looks...

DIY Deer Minerals​

A life lesson engrained in me over the years is easily represented by the old adage: Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Furthermore, I’ve come to learn that anything worth doing right is often worth doing yourself. The term “DIY” has been hot for the past decade, but the majority of sportsmen know that we have embodied the DIY movement for centuries. Whether it is building your own hunting blind, reloading your own ammo, or crafting your own calls, nothing is more fulfilling than making something uniquely yours. It is this mindset that prompted me to create my own mineral mix for use on our farm each spring and throughout the summer months. As is often the case with all DIY projects, trial and error is often the best educator and this mix was no different!

From past research, I know that my mix needs to have a high concentration of calcium and phosphorus in order to assist antler growth. The mix should introduce trace minerals such as magnesium and zinc to aid in structural development as well. But more importantly, I need to ensure the deer will find my mineral site and I can achieve this by including something in the mix that deer can’t resist – salt.

Why salt? During spring green up and early summer, deer are almost always suffering from a sodium deficiency due to the high potassium and water content of the forage they consume at this time of year. This affects their ability to efficiently convert sodium in the body, and subsequently increases their need for sodium intake. This deficiency forces deer to actively seek out concentrated sources of sodium such as our mineral sites. With the basic needs of my deer herd taken in to account, it is time to take a look at the mineral mix itself…

My DIY Mineral Mix:

One-Part Stock Salt
One-Part Di-Calcium Phosphate
Two-Parts Trace Mineral Salts

Depending on current prices and availability, you should be able to round up these ingredients for roughly $60-70. This mix makes close to 200 pounds and will effectively start and maintain 2-3 sites per year. The stock salt is essentially the same salt used to create another beloved DIY project, homemade ice cream! Di-Calcium Phosphate is an additive used in dairy cattle operations to aid in digestion and protein retention. This will perform the same function in our local deer herd. Trace Minerals are commonly used as dietary supplements for smaller livestock such as sheep and goats. Each of these items should be readily available at most well stocked feed mills.

This weekend, I plan to revisit two sites that have been very active sites for me over the past few years. There are still several variables we can address such as site selection, preparation, maintenance, and monitoring; but that will have to wait for another day! With any luck, I’ll have some pictures of this year’s shooter bucks in the early stages of antler development within the next 60 days!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a great condensed version of a classic DIY thread my man! Nice work.

---

After a few years of reading Jesse's DIY mineral threads, I finally tried it out for myself this season. I went down to the local Town & Country Co-Op and found all of the ingredients with ease. Price-wise, Jesse's estimation is pretty much dead nuts... I bought 200 total pounds of mix and it came to right around 65 bucks. Right now I have three separate mineral sites going and I plan on refreshing them here in the next week or two. The best part is I have a surplus of minerals just sitting in my garage, waiting to be deployed.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wanted to revive this as we head towards mineral season. This mix has served me very well over the years. Several guys I know are also using this mix and we all seem to have good success with it. I spent $75 last year and have plenty left to get me through this season as well. I can't wait to get this stuff out again!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wanted to revive this as we head towards mineral season. This mix has served me very well over the years. Several guys I know are also using this mix and we all seem to have good success with it. I spent $75 last year and have plenty left to get me through this season as well. I can't wait to get this stuff out again!!!

This mix is a hell of an attractant, and I have no doubts that the herd health benefits are there as well. My main mineral site down in Carroll Co is now a hole that's about a foot deep, and 3 or 4 feet in circumference.

I would have had plenty of mineral mix left for this season but I gave out freebies to some buddies and my dad last year.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's one of my mineral sights from last year. You can almost park a car in it.

Attachments

• Mineral Site.jpg
    Mineral Site.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 564

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks for posting this up. I was just thinking about refreshing the sites I started up last spring. The deer were hammering 'em last spring & summer.

Gordo

Athens County
Ive had absolutely no luck with the DIY mineral mix. Not sure why. The deer seem to ignore them.

Last year i believe i put out 3-4 of them on different properties and had poor results.

Drives me nuts when others are having great success!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Ive had absolutely no luck with the DIY mineral mix. Not sure why. The deer seem to ignore them.

Last year i believe i put out 3-4 of them on different properties and had poor results.

Drives me nuts when others are having great success!

Have you tried adding molasses to it?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Did they just not find it, or did they find it and not use it? Are you competing with long established licks in the immediate area? Or natural ones including brine run off near old well locations?

Gordo

Athens County
I tried everything.

Small amount of molasse, sprinkled out some corn, etc, etc...

They would b interesred in whatever i put out, until it was gone, and would very rarely stop by for a lick.

Im sure i'll give it another go next month and hope for better results

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Curran, definitely in for a group buy this year if you are. Maybe a couple other "locals" also?

I'm in. Let's coordinate.

I think Longdraw has a place out by him that will dump your bags in a giant mixer for you. I'll get with him and make sure, but that's the way to go. Last year I just boxed the mix back in forth in empty 5 gal buckets.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
I want to say mid march/early april. Ive tried them out the last 3 years!!!

My expectations arent set too high for them either. A couple visits a week to get some good photos and id b happy.

Ill give it one more shot!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had a similar problem on a new property this summer, Gordo. I found out the problem, though... A hunter on the neighboring property was running 50# salt blocks, and appeared to have been doing so for a LONG time. Once the deer get on a pattern going to another site, it makes it difficult to pull them away to a new one... especially when the other site is running pure salt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Jim here. My guess is you are competing with another lick or two elsewhere in the area that is drawing deer. Fact of the matter is, a regular old salt block may be more attractive to deer than my mix. It doesn't provide as much benefit, but they don't know this. They just want salt and those blocks are very effective. Same goes with any old well locations in the area that are leaching brine. I have access to a 500+ acre farm that has several old wells and those locations are the best damn mineral licks I've ever seen!

Hope it goes better for you this year!!!