Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mossberg MVP Varmint .204

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have been wanting a .204 for a while, I kicked around the idea of the 6.5 creedmore over the .204. A couple factors included; the ability for my wife or daughter to feel comfortable shooting this gun in the future, flat shooting, and availability for factory box ammo. I also wanted to stay within a certain price range, it’s always easier to convince the wife this is a good buy when the price is right! The .204 filled all of those requirements, I began to look at a platform to choose from and started to read through reviews and watched youtube videos. My intentional searched focused on either a Savage or Remington, I love my .243 in savage model 10, and during my research I just wasn’t getting much bang for my buck when looking at guns in my price range.
I began to expand my options and when I did, I found this gun, the Mossberg MVP Varmint .204. I was very hesitant to even look at this gun, based on the fact that I all I knew about Mossberg, was that they are known for budget friendly shotguns. I am far from a gun snob, I believe that any gun can shoot if it is shot within its limit and you put the time into practice. The first thing that appealed to me was the price, after do some extended research looking for both good and bad reviews, I began to see that this might be the gun for me.
Here are the specs of my gun:
-A threaded 24” fluted barrel with a 1-12 twist
-Laminated stock, with raised cheek pad, free floating.
-Adjustable trigger
- This gun will take most AR type clips, it came with a 10 round
-Fluted bolt
- I think bare bones it weighs around 7lbs
Scope specs:
-4-16 x 44 ½ mill dot Hawke vantage scope

I basically stole this gun from grabagun.com, for about $150 cheaper than what it was listed for from most dealers, flat rate shipping of $7.99, and tax free!!! I have shot this gun 3 times and each time it gets better and it’s a blast to shoot, it feels very comfortable in my hands. I haven’t shot it from bags yet, just straight bipod and a bench, most of the reviews stated it’s a moa shooting gun out of the box. My plan is to hand load my ammo, but until then I am just shooting box ammo to see what it likes and then go from there. I will say the bolt is a little too loose for my liking but I am sure I will get used to it, I do plan on replacing the trigger with a timney trigger. Other than that I am 100% confident if I do my job the gun is more than capable of reaching out and touching some ghogs, fox, and coyotes.

Stock Photo(I forgot to take one ) Mine is set up just like this one. Minus the sun shade

mossberg stock pic.jpg

200yd group

32gr Vmax box ammo

The flyer was my fault, trying too hard to group them, instead of just enjoying the aim!!

.204 group.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
I've had my .204 for about 10 years now. One of my favorite cartridges. The groundhogs don't like that cartridge very well.