Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moundhill's 2011 hunting log

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well i'm gonn a put together a little hunting log like some of you guys

I'll start mine out with some trail cam pics fom this year
This is the first year that i really got into trail cams, and now i'm ate up. I ended up ordering a spypoint and i'm real glad i did. The wildview and moultrie just wasnt cutting it. Here's my favorite pictures of freak, a deer that caught me off guard. I'd love to see this dude in th woods.

Minus the velvet..

Thes are some vampire deer that have only visited my cam site a couple times:
Fat Mac

Nice 8

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Now to my harvest write up

This saga begins around July 30st, when i first started getting pictures of this deer. At this point, i told myself i wasnt going to take this deer if he goave me the opportunity. He just wasnt what i was looking for, wasnt real big.

Then he stopped coming in, for about a month i hadnt seen anything from him. But then The first of this month, he was back. And him developed some split brows and had grown a little.

So i decided, ehh i'll stick him if i get the chance.

Fast forward to September 23rd.
I got home from school and alot of stuff today. I got the scent smoker out, hung my clothes over the fence, and rolled out some smoke. Then i got all my equiptment ready to go and headed to Diablo's to sight in the broadheads. I started to get a little flustered however, the G5's just wouldnt group. So i took a deep breathe, relaxed and got ONE arrow to smack in there everytime out to 35. Satisfied, i put my bow in the case, gathered up my stuff and headed home. I got all my clothes in my tote, smelling like hickory, and sharpened heads.
September 24th
I wake myself up 8 minutes before my alarm goes off, anticipating the day. I jumped outta bed and put on some coffee. I got on TOO, and wished my TOO brothers good luck. Then down to the hunting room to get ready, and smoked up. After triple checking that i have everything i head out. I wasnt even late, but found myself speeding down the highway trying to get to my spot so i could get up in the stand. I finally arrive to my spot, turn off my jeep and sit. I sat in the darkness in my jeep for around 5 mintues, thinking. Finally i got out, took a leak and headed down the road to get up in my stand. I actually spooked out 2 deer on the way in, but it was pitch black and they didnt seem to be too bothered. I slip up the hill into my hang on that diablo and i hung earlier this year. I get settled in and sat down and it's around 6:15. It was an awsome morning, the fog started to come in around me, and it was completely silent. As daylight broke, squirrels and birds started to come out and jump around. I'm watching some squirrels hop around on some limbs, when i hear footsteps. Theres a trail running behind me and to me right, so i glance back and see a body. Instincively i grab my bow off my bow holder.

The deer came from a small feild directly behind me, and turned to his right and came on the trail about 15 yards in front of me where my apple block is at. I tmade a quick decision and decided to draw back on this guy. It was right at daylight so seeing through my peep was difficult. I let my bow down. He stood there for another minute, i draw back again. At this point he's 17 yards, quartering, but turns and is now slightly quartering to me. I feel plenty confident, and have my first pin just behind his shoulder. I'm calm as can be, knowing what i need to do to make a clean shot. I slowly drag my finger down my release,and let the arrow fly. He took off like a jet! I've never seen a deer run this fast, he jumped and did a 180 degree turn and bolts out of sight, but i hear him stumbling throught the woods toward the feild. Then nothing..I knew he's either crashed or made it to the feild. To be honest i wasn't real confident in my shot. At 7:07 I made a call to dad, which had just gotten off work. He said he'd be right out. So i sat for about an hr, then slipped out and met dad at the road. We decided to give him some time, and came home to regroup. The drive back out to the stand felt like i took hourrs. now, up to my stand we went, we looked right where he was standing, no blood, no arrow. We finally saw a few dots, then an almost puddle of blood, where he had jumped and turned. My confidence grew, the blood trail was a pretty good one, at no point did i not see blood. So dad an i mde it about 75, 80 ydrs and dad whispered, but yelled at the same time " I think i see him" i perked up and looked around a tree, and there he was tangled up in some vines, done! I ran up and looked at him. Now, he did have some ground shrinkage, but i'm still plenty pleased with him. Covered in lung blood, he was lights out. Man what a feeling! I gutted him as dad helped hold his legs open. We brought him up to the LA and showed him off a little. Then we ran to diablo's in the aspire and showed him.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Very nice story. Way to go on the shot. Those are definitely not easy shots. You put it right where you needed it to be. Did you ever find your arrow beings there was an exit wound?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Congrats on a great bow kill buddy, I figure at your age there will be a hell of a bunch more over the years.... Way to get your dad involved, he probably enjoys it as much or probably more then you do.....

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Very nice story. Way to go on the shot. Those are definitely not easy shots. You put it right where you needed it to be. Did you ever find your arrow beings there was an exit wound?
No i never did find it, i even went back out today and looked and still couldnt find it.I'm guessing it skipped across that hollar

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Hunted a lil in the rain this evening with diablo, we had one buck come running through about 60 yards away, couldnt tell on size.

Diablo54

Outside
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Hunted a lil in the rain this evening with diablo, we had one buck come running through about 60 yards away, couldnt tell on size.

It was this one

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317462292.501272.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317462292.501272.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 377

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Saw a few does and a decent shooter today, we couldnt get him in range for diablo to stick him though. Probly won't be out again until friday or the weekend.