Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

National conceal carry reciprocity act passed US House floor vote

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Never been a fan. I think its a states rights issue and this transfers too much power to the feds. It opens the door for legislators from NY and California to lobby and put a lot of restrictions on purchases and the permit process. It opens the door for stuff like this from the article.

Whether it will be signed into law is another matter. For supporters and opponents of national concealed-carry reciprocity, there is much more to do. A big part of that is the controversial Fix NICS Act of 2017.

Fix NICS is a law intended to strengthen the current background check system. It has strong bipartisan support. But some people question how far Fix NICS will dig into people’s backgrounds, potentially blocking thousands of people from buying guns with no sense of due process.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My wife asked me what it meant when she saw it on the news, and I explained it to her in simple terms.
Told her I didn't like it because each individual state currently has the right to legislate as it sees fit - and this would force states with higher standards to honor the lowest common denominator among other states standards.
And it's simply another unnecessary Federal over-reach.

I feel like if you exercise the priviledge of CCW, you should be responsible enough and respectful enough of another states' laws to comply, and put the effort in to find out what's legal and what's not. Kinda like hunting regulations - if you're visiting Ohio you only use the straight-wall cartridge rifles, even if others are legal back home.

Just one more Federal regulation as I see it. But that's me. And I don't always know everything.

So I'm listening - why should I be happy if this were to pass?

Wmiller07

I don't know everything about it but to me the 2nd amendment includes the right to bear arms. To me the states overreached their power when they put restrictions on carrying a firearm (ex ccw class requirements). The fed always trumps state law and to me if I can buy a firearm I should be able to carry it without extra approval from the state government. The 2nd amendment covers the whole country and I should not be disarmed because I want to visit a liberal state.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
This wouldn't be an issue if every state was a "shall issue" state. But there are several states, and worse, counties within those states, where getting a permit is nearly impossible.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't know everything about it but to me the 2nd amendment includes the right to bear arms. To me the states overreached their power when they put restrictions on carrying a firearm (ex ccw class requirements). The fed always trumps state law and to me if I can buy a firearm I should be able to carry it without extra approval from the state government. The 2nd amendment covers the whole country and I should not be disarmed because I want to visit a liberal state.
While i don't disagree with you at all this will not fix that. This simply allows the feds a foot in the door to pass sweeping gun laws under the guise of right to carry and tell the states what to do. The same reasons this could be great for concealed carry also allows it to be horrible. It allows states like California and NY to put pressure at the federal level to pass laws that will impact every state. We're already seeing that with them pushing a stricter background check program and trying to piggyback it on this law. I say leave it at the state level and let states like California and Ny be stupid by themselves.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
While i don't disagree with you at all this will not fix that. This simply allows the feds a foot in the door to pass sweeping gun laws under the guise of right to carry and tell the states what to do. The same reasons this could be great for concealed carry also allows it to be horrible. It allows states like California and NY to put pressure at the federal level to pass laws that will impact every state. We're already seeing that with them pushing a stricter background check program and trying to piggyback it on this law. I say leave it at the state level and let states like California and Ny be stupid by themselves.

Exactly

Wmiller07

Hmm I guess I'll have to look into it more. I'm really sick of these laws where they just keep adding things to them. They should all be separate laws and each one would have to pass.

Doesn't the federal government already have a list of gun laws? Don't see how this one is going to open the door more on that. They are already passing stupid gun laws at the federal level.