Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Needs another year

Schu72

Streetsboro
When you hear that phrase what do you think of? How many more inches of antler will her have next year? Will he make the book? How old is he? How many times do they disappear never to be seen again? I think about this stuff all the time. Over the last few years I've finally had the opportunity to see and get pictures of a few bucks over a number of years and more often than not the jump from one year to the next hasn't been that significant. What year do you guys think a buck makes his biggest jump? Please add you pics if you have some. I have a couple I can share. I'll start with my buck from this year. I did have a few pics of him last year and did have a couple of opportunities where I elected to pass. Body wise, he matured significantly. His rack added width and mass but very little in length. I believe he was likely 2.5 in 2016 and 3.5 this year. Is he in line with the type of growth you see in your area?

Schu72

Streetsboro

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Some deer will never have "it" when it comes to antlers. Hunting "mature " deer or letting young ones walk isn't really about antler size. Of course not even the best genetics can produce over sized antlers if they aren't given time.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Scott in our experience they make the biggest jumps (relative to what they will ever be) between 2/3 and 3/4.
Your deer is in line with what we see for a large percentage of the deer in our area. Now the 'special/need another year' 3 year olds in our area are 150+. And the real real special ones are 170+, with deer in this class not necessarily showing every year (and this year is one of them for us). They are real hard to pass, but we have liked the results.
We've been seriously running cams on the farm for over 10 years now and have lots and lots of history with many of the bucks. I'll try and dig up a few examples. We do have a few 150 3 year olds this year that have us pretty excited for the next few seasons.
And we also commonly see 5 year olds that never amount to much.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some deer will never have "it" when it comes to antlers. Hunting "mature " deer or letting young ones walk isn't really about antler size. Of course not even the best genetics can produce over sized antlers if they aren't given time.

I really like what you have said. I think it all makes 100% sense and agree.

Scott- For me they either have "it" or they don't. My goal is 4.5 and older. If they haven't done anything by this point, I sort of doubt they are going to. Seems like most of them just add mass and maybe main beam length, sometimes an inch or two more on the tines. Every now and then I see one make a major jump.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Two 3 year olds from this year. Of course they are still alive so guessing on the ages.

Call this one Daisy. Believe he was 2 last year and blew into a nice 3 year old.

CDYi0081.jpg IM000157.jpg

CDY_0023.jpg PICT0049.jpg

Call this one the Slant 10. Believe he was 2 last year (got a shed) and is a decent 3 year old. They both get a pass this year.

Cdy00024.jpg I__00076.jpg

Cdy00011.jpg Cdy00038.jpg

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
If it's brown it's down .....

The first deer was a cool bc he had a little drop tine growing, lots of character.
The second one was supposedly hit but never recovered.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
From 3 to 4 have always been the best jumps on our farm. However I am done managing for 4 year olds. If a 3 year old goes 130+ and I have a chance, he ain't seeing another year.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Another year to put 5" of antler on? That fugger didn't grow much. Looks like he's mature this year.

Yea, last year I thought he was a real up and comer. He disappeared after the pics I posted. Never saw or had pics of him again until 2017. As soon as I saw the pics I knew who it was, but was shocked at how little tine length he added, especially for as big and healthy as he looked.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yea, last year I thought he was a real up and comer. He disappeared after the pics I posted. Never saw or had pics of him again until 2017. As soon as I saw the pics I knew who it was, but was shocked at how little tine length he added, especially for as big and healthy as he looked.
He'd make a nice buck for a kid if he doesn't do much next year and you don't want to kill him.