Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New 17 Winchester Super Magnum!

My most recent purchase of a Savage B-Mag in 17 Winchester Super Magnum, has proven to be accurate and a killer. :smiley_bril:

I read some posts on Rimfire Central that were a little discouraging for accuracy, but this rifle and the Winchester ammo with 20gr. V-Max bullets proved to be a very good combination. At the range, 3 shot groups at just under 1/4" at 50 yards with their advertised 3000 f.p.s. were proof enough for me that I have a good rifle in my hands.

This evening, I sat over a soy bean field and took my first shot at a g-hog pup. One shot, one kill at 178 yards...according to my laser range finder. Needless to say, I'm very happy with this weapon's accuracy and ability to kill g-hogs at a good distance.

Bowhunter57

The reviews on this gun and caliber have been dismal. Glad to hear you got a good one. My Savage .17HMR and .22WMR are both great shooters. When I heard the .17WSM was not so great I was disappointed, as I thought of buying one. I'd love to see Winchester come up with a .20WSM or .22WSM. I think that would be an awesome 200 yard varmint rifle.

178 yards with a rimfire is quite a feat, good shooting.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The reviews on this gun and caliber have been dismal. Glad to hear you got a good one. My Savage .17HMR and .22WMR are both great shooters. When I heard the .17WSM was not so great I was disappointed, as I thought of buying one. I'd love to see Winchester come up with a .20WSM or .22WSM. I think that would be an awesome 200 yard varmint rifle.

178 yards with a rimfire is quite a feat, good shooting.
Why not a .204?

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Have a .17 in a Henry. Great shooter but a bitch to clean that tiny hole!!!!!!!!!!!! :pickle:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Morning Dan... Dad picked one of these up and he loves it too. Shoots real good.