Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Bobcat trapping

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They really should wait until the study is over before allowing trapping of bobcats. We do t need any more knee jerk reactions when it comes to wildlife conservation and regulation. It’s sets a bad precedent for other crucial decisions that will need made .

What most people don't know is that study actually states that a low-quota trapping season should be implemented to acquire more useful, supportive data. By not allowing the trapping of 60 bobcats, we are hurting the study that everyone keeps referencing. I'm all in favor of making rational decisions supported by science. Right now, the decision to NOT trap the 60 bobcats would be the only one that's NOT supported by science.

*EDIT - What I mentioned above was based on hearsay, so I did some digging and found that a small trapping season is NOT actually a part of the Ohio University study. Dr. Popescu, who is the lead researcher in the project, was quoted by the Columbus Dispatch, saying, "studying any carcasses harvested during a potential trapping season is not currently part of the project's agreed scope." That's interesting and just goes to show how different rumors can spread and affect opinions. While the study doesn't mention a small trapping season, I still think 60 bobcats would be a huge benefit to the study... And much easier than collecting hair samples or running "scat detecting dogs" through the woods.

Last edited:
Reactions: tracker 6

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They really should wait until the study is over before allowing trapping of bobcats. We do t need any more knee jerk reactions when it comes to wildlife conservation and regulation. It’s sets a bad precedent for other crucial decisions that will need made .

I agree. This hippy liberal animal hugger from Athens wrote a piece for their paper saying just that. And as much as I hate those types he did bring up some very valid points, to include the DOW not having any idea what the actual population was, and how they should wait for the study.

Reactions: Milo

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I agree. This hippy liberal animal hugger from Athens wrote a piece for their paper saying just that. And as much as I hate those types he did bring up some very valid points, to include the DOW not having any idea what the actual population was, and how they should wait for the study.

Do you actually trust them to calculate the numbers of bobcats? How’d that work on deer?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Do you actually trust them to calculate the numbers of bobcats? How’d that work on deer?

With deer they had no intention of conducting an accurate survey of the population to arrive at a scientifically honest number. All they knew was the insurance companies were complaining. Nothing will be 100% accurate but they could conduct a viable population study.