Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Camp gets a Cabin

Update on the cabin. Haven't done a whole lot but we have done a couple of things. Just recently installed a solar setup, so we now have lights inside the cabin that you can flip a switch to turn on. Still need to organize my wires a bit, but will probably do that after we finish the inside this summer. I probably installed too many lights as it is really bright in there, but with a pull chain on each one, I can turn off the one's we don't need when not in use. I put in a couple of charging station for charging of phones. This is really nice because with spotty service the batteries get drained quickly down there. We also installed a direct vent propane heater, so that we don't always have to have the wood stove going and it can kick on when the wood fire dies down overnight. We also put up a few hooks and shelves to put some stuff on.

We are getting a bunch of rough cut poplar wood to use to finish the walls and ceilings. The 1st load just got cut, but we it will probably be June or July before it air drys. That works out as I got some trees to cut this winter in the food plots and I want to put the siding on the outside first this Spring.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
In any dwelling that won’t be inhabited year round, I’d run all permanent wiring in conduit to keep the critters from it. Them little bastards will wreak havoc on some wires.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In any dwelling that won’t be inhabited year round, I’d run all permanent wiring in conduit to keep the critters from it. Them little bastards will wreak havoc on some wires.
Great tip.

Looking good man. Cabins are a fun part of life that's for sure.

Well, we managed to finish the siding up this weekend on the cabin. Glad to have this project done as the outside is pretty much kicked in the butt now. Still going to redo the front porch as the current one is just sitting on top of the ground. This is the porch that we had for the camper. No big hurry on that project. Also need to paint the doors and trim but that needs some warmer weather.

Also on another side note I got an Excel Tankless Water heater that I plan on installing in the near future.