OO2 Coyote Reduction

Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OHIOOutdoors2

*Supporting Member*
Fairfield County
That's the plan this winter.

This morning I went out to try to take advantage of the snow and try and get a sense for where the deer are moving now. Instead, I found myself following countless coyote tracks all over the property. Needless to say they need some thinning out. I was able to recruit the help of a more experienced coyote snare guy and I hope we will have something to show for it. I will keep you all updated as I take up this new adventure.

OHIOOutdoors2

*Supporting Member*
Fairfield County
Thanks fellas. I followed a set of tracks all the way to a prime area that we set a lot of snares. I think the coyote probably caught our scent and decided against it. I'm hoping he will commit soon.

"J"

*Supporting Member*
Columbiana County
Almost had one. Hopefully he comes back! I put a stick in that gap that he traveled on.
I'm not a trapper and may be totally wrong but I'd put some sticks toe the left of the snare to force em over towards the cable, then brush the cable in somewhat, even if it was a few blades of grass too cover it up somewhat.... Looks like it's exposed too much.... Like I said I might be off base but it just shows up too much in my opinion.... Take it for what it's worth....

Bigslam51

*Supporting Member*
Stark County
What J said. Always put your snares on the tightest part of the trail so there aren't any gaps on either side. You could even go farther down that same trail and hang another one.

Boarhead

*Supporting Member*
Yep you will catch one eventually,i actually like snow to see where they have been moving but prefer no snow.
They tend to see the snares some with snow and sidestep or jump over them.
I always catch more when their is no snow they just blend in so much better.

OHIOOutdoors2

*Supporting Member*
Fairfield County
Well when it rains it pours. My scouting when the first snow came really paid off. I found a pair of coyotes consistently runnin out of a certain part in our woods. So I put two snares on their separate paths and waited. Today after I got done hanging my millennium up I checked the snares. The first 9 yielded nothing again. However, the other two on the trail I set up on caught a double! Call it rookie luck. However I am more than happy and plan on getting them tanned for my first catch ever. I thought it was pretty cool. They were a mere 10 ft apart.