Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation coyote necktie.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Figured out that I didn't lose a snare just miscounted. When I put them back out i put most of them in the same spots, when I did my check I noticed one gone and counted my snares sets in my head but missed one. That makes me feel tons better there isn't some deer out there with a necklace cutting in. I mean it wouldn't bug me so much to snare one that i had to let lose or unfortunatly use for bait, but for it to pop loose bugs me.

Adding a little twist tomorrow. I keep seeing tracks out in the open field about 10 yards from the woodline while doing my checks. They're always fresh as any tracks I spot I follow and step on so that I know when they're fresh. I went to rural king and picked up a duke number 3 so I can set a dirt hole for his ass tomorrow. I have tons of footholds for Coons but none for yotes. I'm not a big fan of Dukes and I know everyone raves about the MB traps but it'll do in a pinch. I tacked the s-hooks closed, set the pan tension, tacked the baseplate a little better, and baking soda boiled it. I don't lose.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Set out the leg hold tonight. Muddy mess dirt hole set. I didn't pack in dry dirt so I had to dig down nearby to put some semi wet dirt over the trap. The good thing about setting in mud is it makes it super easy to bed the trap solid. Lol. I put some MB fox piss on the deer bones backer but it's pouring rain right now. I also put some grass over the set to blend it better

We shall see. I'll likely have to rebed it after these rains and the dirt settles.

The pan is under the black dots that I drew.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Another female. Same snare that had a back out last week. Same trail as the last female.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Anything messed with the foothold, Joe?
Besides yesterday's check revealing that the dirt hole and trap bed was slap full of water. Nah. One did walk right by it but I'm sure the rain washed away any hint of Fox piss on the backer. Redid it tonight and re-scented it.