Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation Predator Control - 1023's Trapping Thread

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I like The fact that they are coated for scent control. I have a bunch that I picked up over the past couple years but none of them are night latched and I have to wax them every uear

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like The fact that they are coated for scent control. I have a bunch that I picked up over the past couple years but none of them are night latched and I have to wax them every uear

All I did was let these sit outside for 10 days, then put them in the ground. My kind of trap!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tracie used to work a fairly regular schedule, but that all changed a few months ago and she went from rarely working a weekend, to working at least one day of every weekend the last 8 weeks. As a father that leaves me a few choices: Pawn my kid off on someone else so I can do what I want. Don't do the things I enjoy and stay home with my kid. Or, take my kid with me and obviously I choose to take her with me most of the time. I could just as easily leave her with my mom all the time, but I don't want to be that kind of parent (or son). The way I see it, she's learning a lot about where our food comes from, things we must do to protect our food sources, as well as life and death. At the same time, she loves animals and we spent 3 hours last night watching Coyote Peterson (think Crocodile Hunter meets Jack Hanna - and he's from Columbus) on YouTube. When I was her age, I was all about the Discovery Channel (back when it was all animal docs) and she's the same way. You can love animals and still want to kill them, and that's the education I want to provide her. There are a lot of life skills and knowledge in what she does with me afield and none of it is found in a classroom.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Tracie used to work a fairly regular schedule, but that all changed a few months ago and she went from rarely working a weekend, to working at least one day of every weekend the last 8 weeks. As a father that leaves me a few choices: Pawn my kid off on someone else so I can do what I want. Don't do the things I enjoy and stay home with my kid. Or, take my kid with me and obviously I choose to take her with me most of the time. I could just as easily leave her with my mom all the time, but I don't want to be that kind of parent (or son). The way I see it, she's learning a lot about where our food comes from, things we must do to protect our food sources, as well as life and death. At the same time, she loves animals and we spent 3 hours last night watching Coyote Peterson (think Crocodile Hunter meets Jack Hanna - and he's from Columbus) on YouTube. When I was her age, I was all about the Discovery Channel (back when it was all animal docs) and she's the same way. You can love animals and still want to kill them, and that's the education I want to provide her. There are a lot of life skills and knowledge in what she does with me afield and none of it is found in a classroom.
That right there is fuggin awesome! She's getting the kind of experience that you and I never had, that's what it's all about!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am 100% self-taught when it comes to my outdoor skills. My dad basically taught me how to "be quiet" and "walk slowly", but that was the extent of my outdoor education. The rest of what I have learned has come from my own initiative and from many of the great members of this site. The skills I have learned are one thing, but the lessons are where the real value lies. I want her to grow up loving to be outside, no matter what shape, form or activity it comes in. Having her in my life has actually caused me to expand my time outside, not diminish it. Through my efforts to get healthy and to be the best dad I can be, I have found a new love for being an outdoorsman and I will do what I can to instill that same passion in her, and hopefully in Kenna as well. The days for doing "hunting chores" for selfish reasons are over and now I have a renewed enthusiasm to do these things so that I provide the best possible experience for my girls. It's a bit of a "redneck renaissance" you could say! lmao