Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Persimmon Tree

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I have a real good persimmon tree on a property that I hunt, and was curious as to when I should focus alot of attention to hunting or hanging a camera by it. I would assume that after a frost that they would begin to fall. Its location is between a bedding area and an oak flat that has an extreme amount of road noise from a four lane highway.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a real good persimmon tree on a property that I hunt, and was curious as to when I should focus alot of attention to hunting or hanging a camera by it. I would assume that after a frost that they would begin to fall. Its location is between a bedding area and an oak flat that has an extreme amount of road noise from a four lane highway.

As soon as they start to fall, however this may be difficult to notice as they hit them like crack.. I swear they stand under them waiting with their mouth open.. So I would say now.

epe

Lancaster
One of the spots we hunt now had them along time ago, but when they widened the field they wiped them all out. Dad was SO mad.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not to hijack, but I did a bit of an experiment the other day. I heard a student talking about all the pears in their yard. I asked her to bring me in all the bad ones her family didn't want. She ended up bringing me in a couple bags. I put them out in front of a camera with some apples. When I went back a couple days later the pears were gone and the apples remained. I was a bit surprised.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not to hijack, but I did a bit of an experiment the other day. I heard a student talking about all the pears in their yard. I asked her to bring me in all the bad ones her family didn't want. She ended up bringing me in a couple bags. I put them out in front of a camera with some apples. When I went back a couple days later the pears were gone and the apples remained. I was a bit surprised.

Coons love them!

Buckmaster

Portage
When I went back a couple days later the pears were gone and the apples remained. I was a bit surprised.

I concur, deer prefer pears over apples.

Three years ago I planted a dozen persimmon trees. I have about 8 left and they are now about 6 feet tall. Can't wait until they are mature.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
persimmons need to be rotted before they really dig them. thats when the sugar starts

mrex

*Supporting member*
The persimmon trees down this way are loaded this year.

Just about all critters eat them and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, they become a lot more palatable after the weather turns cold. Grey foxes in particular really like them. Years ago when we had a lot of foxes, persimmon groves were my favorite place to make trap sets. I watched a grey fox while deer hunting back in the mid 80's climb a persimmon tree and shake the upper branches to make the fruit fall.