Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's Adventures 2015 2016

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haha when i tell my wife be back in about an hour she knows better and adds about 3 more hrs.lol
Glad you guys had fun Phil.

Mine asks "An hour? Or an hour in Phil time?"

She seems to think I can't tell time and have created my own versions of 15min or "an hour".

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like a good way to spend a cool fall evening!

Absolutely! Driving home I asked if he had fun. Garrett: "Eh. It was ok. Would've been better if it was a buck I shot." I said Yup. BUT. . .He is a friend of mine and needed help. You think it would be fun for him to help you drag your deer out? That is what we do for each other. Just part of hunting. Some day you might need a hand from him. Bet you would be glad to have him help you out.

He had fun. He got to follow a good blood trail. Got to walk up on the deer with us. Got to experience field dressing again. Even made comments about the difference between this and his doe in the process. He was watching. I showed him the eyes glowing in the light. Lots and lots was learned by Garrett last night. Good times!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got bloody tonight. Not in a good way. Watched 5 does work through at 22yds. Last doe was chiseled like a body builder or something. Long body, long legs, built like a thoroughbred. She paused quartering away at 22yds and I opted to pass. Hour or hour and a half of shooting light was left. I figured it was a good sign of early movement. Then the next thing I know the other 4 were heading back the way they came and they were hauling butt. They disappeared except one who was trailing behind a bit. She decided to die 15-20yds in front of my climber. Somebody was ground hunting. Claims he was not on the property but he had to be right on the line. He took a quartering to shot on her straight thru the shoulder. Lucky he even killed her. Lucky I didn't come unglued. I patiently sit in my climber. An hour passes and I think maybe he knows I am in there so he was waiting for dark for me to finish. NOPE! 15-20min of shooting light left and he comes traipsing in. I wait for him to get about 5 yards in front of me and 15-20' below me and shout "Identify yourself." Dude nearly shit himself. Best part is I even got it on camera. I will not post it though. What a crap way to hunt. We don't get to hunt often as we would like. When we do, we sit in the stand for hours and generally it is awaiting the last 15-20min of daylight. Then someone ruins it. Ugh.

I helped him drag his doe off the property. I took his name and cell number. Text him my info. Told him if he has to enter the property ever again he better be contacting me first. We shall see.

Hunt: 3hrs
Deer seen: 5

Season totals:
Hours hunted: 25
Deer Seen: 33

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That sucks Phil, but you did a nice thing helping him drag the deer out and exchanging contact info. You're a good man.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got done working early enough to slide into the stand. Later than I would like, but better late than not at all I guess. It isn't like I blew out any deer on the way in. Not like I saw any from the stand either. Skunked.

Hours on Stand: 2.25
Deer seen: 0

Season totals:
Hours hunted: 27.25

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
East wind. I have 3 places I could go. I feel I have been putting too much pressure on the one spot. . . .but I am listening to my gut. Hoping to slide out and use the climber. With any luck, I plan to hang an additional stand on this property later today. It will be a Millennium bracket with nothing but the top three sections of ladder and a bracket. When I hunt it I will carry in the stand and one stick. This will be a rut or gun season set up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Slid in. Slid out. Never spooked anything. Never saw anything. Did some scouting. Ridiculous amounts of rubs clustered within 50yds of my climber. Good to know your gut was not lying to you. Seems as though we are looking at all night time activity. Guess I will be waiting until mid or late next week to try it here again.

I was in the climber and set up 30min before legal light. Did manage to hear a buck under the cover of darkness again.

Hours hunted: 3
Deer seen: 0

Season totals:
Hours hunted: 30.25

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm only sort of sorry your last two sits have been a bust, Phil. Bad for you, indeed, but I find some relief in it. AJ and Pete saw nothing last night and nothing this morning. I snuck out there and glassed the farm from a vantage point and only saw 5 and that was right at dark. I don't think I have ever glassed that place and seen less than ten in an evening. It must just be the temps.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm thinking the temps have had something to do with it as well Phil, I haven't seen much to and from the lake early mornings and late evenings out on the fields either. Bet they are moving at night right now. Hopefully this cold weather forecasted this weekend will get them moving during shooting light.