Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's Adventures 2015 2016

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Phil, i am rooting for Garrett to get one!

Thanks Brian and gang. Kid has me scratching my head. We had two nights in a row of good rutting activity. Tonight I mentioned youth gun season next weekend will improve his odds. He says "Eh. I think I might want to take a break next weekend." Come next weekend? Who freaking knows if he will want to hunt or not. The fire is lit. Moments I see it burning bright. Other times I see just a flicker. So tough to know if I should push him or not. Last night I am glad I pushed him a bit because we had awesome action. He is 11. I just pray I am going about it the right way. Guess time will tell.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe afraid of the gun?

I don't think so. When I first told him youth gun season, his eyes lit up. He was excited. I just think he is an 11yr old who wants to kill a buck but isn't real keen on putting in the time and patience to do so. Time will tell. I will be supportive but try my hardest not to push him. Tough balance.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck with the kid. It's tough to figure out what's going on. Don't push too hard as that'll just make it worse. Some just don't have the deep burning desire as we do and it's easy for them to think I'll do it later in life and want to just be a kid now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
3hrs. Zero deer. Hunted our own property. Not a surprise. By early October the pressure from bozos wandering all over neighboring properties generally has the deer nocturnal. Oh well. Time well wasted!

Season totals:
Hours hunted: 54
Deer seen: 63

Just getting caught up on your posts Phil. Your boy sounds a lot like my 11 year old too. No sooner does he seem excited about going and all of a sudden he could care less. Think he's got a lot of other things going that are instant gratification like sports and video games and hunting just takes too much time at times LOL. I definitely feel your pain and deerless sits make things harder for sure.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just getting caught up on your posts Phil. Your boy sounds a lot like my 11 year old too. No sooner does he seem excited about going and all of a sudden he could care less. Think he's got a lot of other things going that are instant gratification like sports and video games and hunting just takes too much time at times LOL. I definitely feel your pain and deerless sits make things harder for sure.

All we can do is plant the seed my friend. Then we can nourish it if the interest is there. The crazy part of our last sit with no deer seen? We get done and Garrett says "That was really nice. It was peaceful back there." I am left scratching my head. He was mellow, relaxed, and appreciative. The hunt or two hunts prior we were covered up in rut activity. I am freaking baffled! lmao

LMAO I hear you! Saturday when we had the nice 6 point come out and wander all over that field he no sooner goes in and Allen's back on his game on his phone! I said you never know, he's looking for does and could come right past us in a few minutes. 20 minutes later that 4 point comes out and we watch it go by. He gets serious for about 20 minutes after it's out of sight and then back to the damn phone. At least he found humor in watching the squirrels, blue jays and woodpeckers that night.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Should catch this up. I gun hunted Friday morning. Saw 5 deer total. 7am to 10am. Nice sit. Spike and 1.5yr old who was off to a good start were following a doe around. I would have shot her and slashed their hopes but she was the only one that didn't offer a shot.

3hrs
5 deer.

Today I hunted the same tree with my climber. I saw one deer about 80-100yds off thru the brush. Not a shot I wanted to take. Hung on until 1pm.
Was back on stand by 230pm. Hunted until 515. Shot a doe at 5pm. I guess the rest of the time was letting the adrenaline settle.

I couldn't tell how many deer poured out. 6 or 8 if not more. I kept losing count as they moved around and just picked out the biggest one. Took aim: click. Nothing. I pulled the bolt of my Savage 220 back but didn't eject the round. I slammed it forward and took aim again thinking it may not have fully loaded before: click. Now mind you I have at least 6-8 does within 100yds. Unbelievable they didn't boogie out of town. I ejected the shell and put a second one in the chamber, took aim: boom! She took off like a full back going thru the line of scrimmage. She ran roughly 50yds and then it looked like Pete Rose sliding into home plate. She piled up in literally 1-2 seconds. 3sec max. The second Accutip did it's job well.

8hr 45min
8 deer seen

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Should catch this up. I gun hunted Friday morning. Saw 5 deer total. 7am to 10am. Nice sit. Spike and 1.5yr old who was off to a good start were following a doe around. I would have shot her and slashed their hopes but she was the only one that didn't offer a shot.

3hrs
5 deer.

Today I hunted the same tree with my climber. I saw one deer about 80-100yds off thru the brush. Not a shot I wanted to take. Hung on until 1pm.
Was back on stand by 230pm. Hunted until 515. Shot a doe at 5pm. I guess the rest of the time was letting the adrenaline settle.

I couldn't tell how many deer poured out. 6 or 8 if not more. I kept losing count as they moved around and just picked out the biggest one. Took aim: click. Nothing. I pulled the bolt of my Savage 220 back but didn't eject the round. I slammed it forward and took aim again thinking it may not have fully loaded before: click. Now mind you I have at least 6-8 does within 100yds. Unbelievable they didn't boogie out of town. I ejected the shell and put a second one in the chamber, took aim: boom! She took off like a ZEKE going thru the line of scrimmage against the MEATCHICKEN a week or so ago! She ran roughly 50yds and then it looked like Pete Rose sliding into home plate. She piled up in literally 1-2 seconds. 3sec max. The second Accutip did it's job well.

8hr 45min
8 deer seen

Sorry, that was for Flutie!LMAO...........YKW

Congrats on getting another doe for the freezer! Nice shot TOO!