Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plots And Deers

Went down and checked the plots yesterday....not doing as well as I had hoped. The Gly application mostly failed, as I suspected, I think cause it was raining that day. Getting ok germination but I also didn't get quite as much thatch on the ground as I wanted and this heat is scorching a lot of the exposed dirt where there is little to no germination. Spots that have thatch have shit growing in it. Turkeys also have HAMMERED the field and I'm guessing ate a lot of my seeds. Never had so many pics of turkeys in this field, usually 15-20 per day.

Also mowed my clover plot for the last time this year.

Threw down another 30# of rye seed to fill in some of the bare spots/spots turkeys destroyed and added one of those wild berry deer blocks from TSC(strongest smelling block you could ever hope to buy, I could smell it 50 yds. downwind), a trophy rock, and a shit ton of apples to the salt pile for added attraction as the season draws near.

Hoping for some good rain and this damn damn weather to cool down to help the plots.

Camera is telling me the bucks have dispersed since shedding velvet, only have 2 shooters left as far as I can tell. Not bothered by it as there are does in there damn near 24/7 which will keep the boys close come Oct/Nov.

IMO your wasting a Trophy Rock. I think the deer use the TR very little from mid Sept through February. I never put them out at that time. The "flavored" blocks may draw a few deer, but I don't think they really benefit from them now. Just my two cents from past experience.

Maybe its my area and the fact there's no ag around and little minerals in the soil, or just deer density, but I seem to get pretty consistent usage all season on my salt pile. It was especially helpful last year as the does hit it all year and it drew in some nice bucks who showed up every damn time I wasn't there. And im not terribly concerned with providing nutrition, the food plots do that. Just want to draw them in. We shall see though...