Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pot call suggestions

Kempire

Hey all. Ive only ever hunted with a box and mouth tab, but I'm thinking about picking up a pot call this year. I've messed around with a cheap one and I'd like to get something a little nicer quality. Kicking around a zink power hen or a duel call. Would appreciate any input anyone has on either. Also torn between slate and aluminum.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hey all. Ive only ever hunted with a box and mouth tab, but I'm thinking about picking up a pot call this year. I've messed around with a cheap one and I'd like to get something a little nicer quality. Kicking around a zink power hen or a duel call. Would appreciate any input anyone has on either. Also torn between slate and aluminum.
IMG_20170821_135409586.jpgIMG_20170821_135351114.jpg

I'll sell you that set up right there for $10. Only been used a few times, never in the field.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Honestly, if I were you I'd look at some of the custom call makers and stay away from the mass produced calls. Check out Blackstone custom calls on Facebook. There are several other good call makers out there also.

Kempire

I'm game for that. $10 seems like a low risk investment. I see you are stark county, I'm summit right bordering stark. You want to pm me and we can figure out the logistics?

Kempire

Wow.... I scrolled through a couple pages and you aren't too shabby with that lathe sir. Some nice looking stuff you're turning out there.

Kempire

Not being too experienced with friction calls I'm honestly not sure. I was bouncing between the idea of slate or aluminum, but will likely go with slate

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not being too experienced with friction calls I'm honestly not sure. I was bouncing between the idea of slate or aluminum, but will likely go with slate
I have both, and I find myself using my slate 99% of the time. I carry up to 5 different strikers with me in the field, they all sound different. One of the easiest woods to run on a slate IMO is purple heart, I'll bring one of those if you want a nice exotic. Bocote also runs well, so does cherry, cedar, apple.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I need a new slate to go along with my growing inventory of Tusky River strikers!
I'm going to be looking at getting a nice custom call before this season. Most likely either Blackstone, Kaiser kalls, or from Jeff on the turkey nut Facebook page. You said you have a down n dirty slate, right?