Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

previous years pics

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
We were having some issues with our computer running slow and needed to get rid of some old pics to free up some memory space. I ended up deleting a ton of trail cam pics from the last few years and saving some on disc. i was just wondering what you guys do with your older pics.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was thinking about doing the same Dave, I have disks that are 52X 700MB being that I'm the challenged individual I am lol, does that mean I can only store 700 MB on it? I have one file that has 13.4 gigs on it.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Takes awhile but I start deleting the doe pictures and blurred pictures as I take them off the card. Eliminates a ton of pictures. I really don't need pictures of squirrels or raccoons either.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a terabyte external hard drive that I store all my information on. It's backed up in a couple other places as well. Used to keep most pics, but when you go through 100K plus a year, you have to trim down. I only keep buck pictures and just the best of those. I only keep a select few pics other than that.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have a terabyte external hard drive that I store all my information on. It's backed up in a couple other places as well. Used to keep most pics, but when you go through 100K plus a year, you have to trim down. I only keep buck pictures and just the best of those. I only keep a select few pics other than that.

Yup, same thing here. External HD with a wifi connection, and only keep good buck pics.

I use to keep every picture I took, but they take up a lot of space, and take days to go through once you need to free up some space. I now delete pics after every check and transfer them into folders on the ext. hd sorted by location and date.

Gordo

Athens County
Id say about 99.9% of my TC pics never hit the hard drive. When i do have keepers i email them to myself by attaching them directly from SD card. From their they are backed up in cyber space, easy to get on phone, etc.. I'll prob set up an email strictly for TC photos this year since i have a ton of space with my website thats under construction

Mine just sit on the hard drive a few years and then get deleted. There are always those few pics each year that I have a favorite of that I do try to keep a copy of though. As for all the does and other small bucks...bye bye after a while. One thing I do as I review cards is simply delete all the other critters and blank pics as I review them. That alone can get rid of quite a few pics. Then what remains are just the deer pics or something that is kind of cool at the time.

Huckleberry Finn

Man I remember when I was a kid we got a new computer that had a 1 gig harddrive and my dad told me we'd never fill it (we didn't). My laptop has a 100 gig...but a terabyte is just HUGE!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yup, same thing here. External HD with a wifi connection, and only keep good buck pics.

I use to keep every picture I took, but they take up a lot of space, and take days to go through once you need to free up some space. I now delete pics after every check and transfer them into folders on the ext. hd sorted by location and date.

Same here TOO...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a 2 TB external hard drive and keep every picture that comes off off a card. I cannot find any evidence to the philosophy that deer have a daily pattern. I sometimes see evidence that they have a weekly pattern. I.e. this buck only visits this salt block Thursday or Friday around midnight. Never more than once a week usually on Thursdays but sometimes on Friday. But more importantly I have found out they have a yearly pattern. They will spend a month and this one spot, a month in another spot, then two weeks here, Then disappear for two weeks. Then show back up over there. Now where I hunt
these different spots could be up to a mile away. Now obviously the pattern may shift by a week or two every year. But I find that they typically do the same thing every year.

The reason that I keep all of those pictures is because I want to see what all of the dear are doing. Typically when I do a camera check I have the folders broken down by location, then broken down by date. If I go check a camera after a one or two weeks soak. I will also go back and look at the same weeks for the years prior. If you started doing this you would be a amazed at how consistent year after year the deer move. And sometimes it's not even a old deer. I find that new deer that move into the area typically pick up the same pattern. I can also see when new bucks start snooping around trying to locate does. After two full seasons of running cameras on the same property In the same spots I think I may have figured something out. This year I'm going to be very cautious and not put my cameras out until August. Hopefully the patterns that I have seen the past two years old true again. And hopefully these four or five slobs that I have seen are still around.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have 1TB hard drive and keep all the deer pics. As I look at them on the card I delete all the non-target animals unless it's something pretty cool. Move them to the hard drive and they are sorted by date then by time of day. I am thinking about moving them onto a DVDR with dual layer 8.5GB. You can hold a bunch of videos and pics on one of those disks.

Also doing the same as Joe this year and not putting cams out until just before season opener. I know the deer are there and no need to let them in on the gig until it's time. Let them be and see if that works better this year not spreading scent around in there checking cams all summer giving them more of the upper hand in this chess game lol.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I never keep the doe pics, and only keep the bucks for inventory. I also slowed a computer down and started putting them on an External Drive.