Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Red dot for turkeys?

lung buster

hocking county
Put a red dot on drew's gun a few yrs back...dialed it In. Had birds within range twice and spook before he could shoot..figured out that the red lens was spooking them I believed...put a circle x scope on his turkey gun and he has nailed everyone in range since. I swear they were seeing red lens on red dot scope..

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It's just the fun factor for me . I don't hunt for meat . Although I do eat everything I kill . But anymore deer hunting is just not fun. Alot of work , alot of knocking on doors , running cameras , bumping into other hunters or having ATVs running around . And even when I do kill a good deer I feel more relief that it it's over than excitement . I don't plan on giving it up . I guess I was just sharing how I felt , but obviously to each their own. We all have different situations and passions here .

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't know one person that strictly hunts turkey for the meat. Yes it's one of the best meals you'll ever eat, if done properly. You get in the spring woods and you have 3 to 4 longbeards hammering away from 2 different locations and you'll be hooked. Get one to gobble ten foot behind you when you didn't know he was there and you'll shit your pants. I just got back from an NWTF banquet and the guys I hung out with are nothing like a group of bone collector type deer hunters. Turkey hunting is fun, it's about the bird. It's like Christmas every time you shoot one because most of the time you have no clue what kind of spurs he has on him. Running up on a bird that's flapping around on the ground is a great feeling. If anyone else wants to know anything else about how fun turkey hunting is I'd be glad to share more[emoji23]

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I don't know one person that strictly hunts turkey for the meat. Yes it's one of the best meals you'll ever eat, if done properly. You get in the spring woods and you have 3 to 4 longbeards hammering away from 2 different locations and you'll be hooked. Get one to gobble ten foot behind you when you didn't know he was there and you'll shit your pants. I just got back from an NWTF banquet and the guys I hung out with are nothing like a group of bone collector type deer hunters. Turkey hunting is fun, it's about the bird. It's like Christmas every time you shoot one because most of the time you have no clue what kind of spurs he has on him. Running up on a bird that's flapping around on the ground is a great feeling. If anyone else wants to know anything else about how fun turkey hunting is I'd be glad to share more[emoji23]
Please do

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Please do
You can find out for yourself in Kentucky 🖕🏿

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Bow hunting deer has ran its course with me for the time being, I'd much rather hunt something that I can somewhat communicate with. Like the Chad and Jake, the first gobble in the early morning while its still dark is something that drags my ass out of bed in the spring, and the sound of one drumming just out of sight makes my heart pound. I hope not all people get what I get out of it cause if they do I wont have no places to hunt thats not over ran with other hunters.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
And even when I do kill a good deer I feel more relief that it it's over than excitement . I don't plan on giving it up . I guess I was just sharing how I felt , but obviously to each their own. We all have different situations and passions here .

100% get it Jake. I've had years where deer hunting felt more like work than enjoyment. That sucks. I absolutely get the rush you guys refer to. Multiple birds sounding off from different directions as Chad described? I've heard it. Freaking awesome. Just hard to get overly excited if I do not know if I'll be able to enjoy it or not.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
And even when I do kill a good deer I feel more relief that it it's over than excitement . I don't plan on giving it up . I guess I was just sharing how I felt , but obviously to each their own. We all have different situations and passions here .

100% get it Jake. I've had years where deer hunting felt more like work than enjoyment. That sucks. I absolutely get the rush you guys refer to. Multiple birds sounding off from different directions as Chad described? I've heard it. Freaking awesome. Just hard to get overly excited if I do not know if I'll be able to enjoy it or not.
Gotta make time for yourself, Phil.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Update: Jake made a great suggestion. I found some sights at Bass Pro when I was in Cincy for a soccer tournament this weekend with my youngest. $50 is stupid. With a gift card they cost me under $4. I'll take it. Set screws should hold them on better than the junk crap Mossturd put on them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Update: Jake made a great suggestion. I found some sights at Bass Pro when I was in Cincy for a soccer tournament this weekend with my youngest. $50 is stupid. With a gift card they cost me under $4. I'll take it. Set screws should hold them on better than the junk crap Mossturd put on them.