Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Redclouds Journal

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
So today was the first time since shed hunting back in February since I have stepped foot on the far side of the river. I wanted to check on the apple tree's and make sure the wind storms over the summer had not damaged my stands. I also cut in some shooting lanes that had new growth that was blocking the openings. As Dante and myself made our rounds we noticed the deer had changed how they used this area a bit and have less traffic in areas where they use to have a great heavily traveled trail. Didn't see but a few tracks so far in this bottom pasture. As we made our way to the top of the pasture ridge we checked on the big Oak and didn't see much of any acorns. Walked past a spot where I had a cam and minerals a couple years ago and captured some good bucks that moved in that area after dark. Seems they still have some minerals they wanted to dig out of the ground. I also noticed the apple trees are absolutely loaded again this year. Actually, I think they may have more apples this year then they did last year.

I wish I could show this pic and it would show you just how big and deep they have this thing dug out. I would say it is about 5' in diameter and probably close to 4" deep with it being a little deeper in the middle. Absolutely loaded with tracks. Since this is an easy spot to get to and I can get in and out quickly I am going to hang a cam here tomorrow.

0811131445_zps7d4659dd.jpg

Here is one of the 5 apple trees starting about 50 yards from my observation stand.

0811131446_zps94e77cf9.jpg

Set this cam up and see what we get in a couple weeks. This will also be the first time cams have been out this year and I wasn't going to even put them out but, since this one is so easy to go check and wouldn't cause much of an issue with the travel route and area that is my main spot I figure I would set it out.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad to hear you made it out finally Adam! I know how busy you've been this summer and I know you musta loved getting out and checking things out some. Do you have a stand up or have tried hunting near those apple trees? That'd be a great place to fill your tag early buddy! Man there's a bunch of apples on that tree! Great draw for sure!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ric, I have a stand in a tree about 50 yards from that apple tree. Might try hunting the bottom of the ridge with the apples with a blind early season as well.

Getting out there was nice and glad I did too. I was going to wait to step foot over there until closer to season but man did that place get choked up with undergrowth after all the rain this spring and early summer. That river bottom was flooded pretty bad and for a good while and now all that water went down the weeds have gone nuts lol. Need to go back in there and clear it out and also cut off some of the trails that are out of range and see if the deer start using the closer trail a little more again. Heading out around noon to hang the upper cam over the mineral site and see what all deer have been hitting that as they come from the ag fields to those apple trees.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
getting out there and cutting that new growth was a good idea, as well as trimming out your shooting lanes. Wouldve been a bitch on opening morning trying to get through all that to get to your stand only to find out you didnt have a shot anyway.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
getting out there and cutting that new growth was a good idea, as well as trimming out your shooting lanes. Wouldve been a bitch on opening morning trying to get through all that to get to your stand only to find out you didnt have a shot anyway.

Yeah, that would have sucked lol.

With rain moving in tonight I went and hung a cam on the fence post in the upper pasture. It is easy to get in and out and doesn't cause any issues with the deer. I pulled in and hung the cam and back out in 30min. and that included trimming a few things out of the way for the cam.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Did you plant that apple tree? I'm jealous....wish I had some fruit bearers on my place

I did not plant any of those trees. The landowner did years ago but for some reason they didn't have any apples on them until last year. 3 years ago there was not an apple on any of the 5 trees in the finger but the last 2 years they have been loaded with this year having more then last year.

Dante and I also discussed yesterday while looking around where we could start a small poormans plot back in the timber that has a good size hole in the canopy. The weeds in this spot was thick so starting next spring it is going to get some roundup and soil turned so we can get something in there next spring.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I decided to go collect the card from the easy in/out cam today. I had it set on a fence post looking over an old mineral site that I have not freshened up at all this year. A couple weeks ago when it was still damp and wet soil the deer tore it up getting the minerals that was still there. I got a few pics of does and a few fawns and that is awesome and makes me very happy.

PICT0118_zpsf04259a4.jpg

PICT0017_zpsd9402acd.jpg

PICT0018_zpsccd604d9.jpg

A few bucks as well. Might toss something out to get them to stop for better pics but this is what I got for now.

PICT0054_zps11570fce.jpg

PICT0123_zps48008ad3.jpg

The 3 I want better pics of.

PICT0011_zps598be8fc.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
In the daytime pics if you look close you can see that loaded apple tree just to the top right of the pic. Seems they are working from the corn to the beans and finishing up with a snack of apples before heading down to the creek for a drink.

Next week I am going to collect the other cam and pull it. Just wanted to see what was back there but I figure those 3 bucks are on there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice. Hopefully the does/fawns keep doing well and one of those bucks makes his way into your hands Adam!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Dante and myself will not be killing any does off this farm this year.

Those bucks are looking nice but still not the ONE I am looking for. I hope he is still out there and shows on the other cam.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
He's still around bud. gotta be.

glad to see some does for sure. The one with the funky rack in the 5th pic looks familiar, but i dont think the others have been showing up across the street.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
He's still around bud. gotta be.

glad to see some does for sure. The one with the funky rack in the 5th pic looks familiar, but i dont think the others have been showing up across the street.

We shall see next week.

The does and fawns was exciting for sure since we have not seen many out there.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice update Adam! Always nice to see does and fawns for sure! Hope you capture a pic of your target buck soon, I'm sure he's still out there!