Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Control 101

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Obviously, the number one thing we can do as hunters is play the wind. However, we all know there are going to be times when deer come in down wind or from an unexpected direction. I figured I would start this thread so we can all chime in on what some of the basics are for beating a deer's nose.

1. Play the wind.

2. Wash your gear in scent free detergent with UV blocker. I am conditioning my washing machine and dryer right now. I always start with an empty cycle of water only. Then I run an empty load using the scent eliminating detergent. In the dryer, I don't have many great ideas. I make sure I empty the lint filter and clean it well. Then I run a load or two with nothing but the fabric softener sheets designed to smell like Earth scent or similar. Then I begin the washing of the hunting gear. It leaves the washer ONLY after I have washed my hands in some Scent free soap. It leaves the dryer and heads directly to the rubbermaid totes or a Scentlocker Bag.

3. Ironically, after being so anal about washing the clothes, I am always very diligent to use my Scent Smoker to smoke my gear up prior to using it.

4. Rubber boots. I use Muck Boots, but others would work well too. I am very disciplined about my boots. They never enter the house. I won't wear them if I have to drive to a hunting destination. They stay in the scent free tote until I get there. I generally take them to the carwash and spray them with water only when I am rinsing off my truck.

5. I am also pretty strict about my arrows, range finder, binoculars, camera, and anything else I will have at my stand. I either wash them or wipe them down as best as possible prior to the season. Once the season begins, I leave them in the totes in between hunts.

6. Breath? Tough one here. I am thinking they smell our breath more than anything. I do my best to watch what I eat or drink to avoid any strong smells. I also try to keep my face covered as much as possible. Some guys will chew on those tablets which eliminate scent. Might need some help here, but I am thinking Chloro-something tablets?

7. Help me out fellas. I know I am leaving some stuff out.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think the list that you have going on there is good. I dont ever think about my breath, and I know it stinks from coffee in the morning and stuff. Never thoguht about that.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I read one dude on here (can't remember who) says to eat an apple on stand.
Makes sense, then toss the core.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but sure can't hurt...ya get a good snack, breath smells like apple, core smells like apple.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys breathe while your in stand?

Great point Gordo. Then again, I don't think I have ever killed a deer without a dip in. I would imagine it would alarm some deer and draw curiosity out of others.

Diablo54

Outside
I've seem a reaction to dip 2 times. Once was a big Doe who came up behinds and came right to my tree she put her nose right where I was spitting. And stuck her head straight up to me. The other time, I had moved spots in my climber Durring late October from morning to morning by about 50 yards. A young buck spent maybe 15 min licking my tree and the ground where I had spit on it.

Gordo

Athens County
During the rut on long sits ive been known to have a smoke here and there. Its almost like clock work that whenever i do that action always follows with no negative effects.

One year id honestly have a smoke. Wait about 10 minutes, hit the horns, and would have some decent bucks come right in just about every time.

Now that was two years ago when hitting the horns was magical. Last year i did not rattle one deer in all season!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I do not, Dale. Though I'm sure it's a good idea in some cases. I have seen where trappers do that sort of thing to keep animals from figuring out where their traps are. You trappers make good bowhunters.

buckstar25

T-county
You covered most everything, I have seen too many times how dumb deer really are. I see the guys drinking coffee, buddy shooting deer with a lit cigar (on video). Etc....makes me wonder if everything I do is worth it, but I still do it.

As far as dip, I rub Copenhagen Long Cut. I have been to 2 places with penned deer and they literally have done everything but knock me over trying to get to my can, good enough for me to not worry about my breath!

You can also make your own cover scent using leaves, nuts, and woody shrubs by boiling it down and straining it.

I am a firm believer in a product called Sure-kill. Their cover scents are awesome but I never leave home without the Fresh Earth bottle.

buckstar25

T-county
Gordo, i am the same but not with a smoke. My good luck charm has always been a Sandwhich, seems every time I eat a Sandwhich I see a deer. Filmed a buck walking within 5 yds of my stand with a bologna Sandwhich, Pepsi, and snickers bar laying on the front bar of my API.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You guys breathe while your in stand?

Yep...all the time....take a little break from it though when I fart.....

It was funny when I got home after the SR deer camp....I'd been hunting Thurs-Sunday, smoking myself and my clothes all that time, no bathing...
All the soap smells and household smells hit me like a ton of bricks when I walked in the house Sun nite.
Found I was sensitive to smells all day Monday too.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Yep...all the time....take a little break from it though when I fart.....

It was funny when I got home after the SR deer camp....I'd been hunting Thurs-Sunday, smoking myself and my clothes all that time, no bathing...
All the soap smells and household smells hit me like a ton of bricks when I walked in the house Sun nite.
Found I was sensitive to smells all day Monday too.

Dan I've encountered that with alcohol as of late. I can be ten feet from someone that had a beer or two, and it blasts me in the face!

lung buster

hocking county
I do everything the same as Hick's original post except for the dryer. I tried the earth scent sheets once and had bad luck. Everything hangs outside to dry.
And also the smoke. I've had the smoker,chips etc for a couple of weeks and i just can't bring myself to smoke up. One of these days I'll break down and try the smoke.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
One thing i started doing.... do the traditional wash and hang with ur clothes,smoke if u want but i bought the reusable vacuum bags for clothes. One it seals em in a bag and what use to be a big tub of clothes is now a flat bag.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I do everything but 5... My bag stays in my garage all year, just gets sprayed down before every hunt. Love having my face covered, but for me, makes the shot a lot harder. Shot my buck with nothing but a beanie on this year.

I would not do the apple core thing. I always take apples to my stand. My crapping always goes down hill during my hunting, so I try to keep my fiber intake up. Last year I tossed the cores. My apple core worked in my favor last year, but why I wouldn't recommend it. My buck came straight to my tree. He eventually smelled around, smelled the apple, got jumpy and eventually bounded away a few yards. Luckily it was to his right, and out in front of me. If he had turned away, I'd have been screwed. I think your scent on it is enough to discourage them from the apple smell...

I used to spit on the ground, now I only dip after I empty one of my waters. Of course I had to spit on the ground once this year when my bottle fell out of my bag while getting something else out. I don't worry about the breath thing until i have a deer in range, then I do my best to keep the breathing through my nose only. On top of the breath control, it seems to help calm your nerves. Without oxygen, your heart has no choice but to slow down. I've been pretty damn good on both bucks I shot the last two years.

The biggest key to scent control for me is the things that go to your stand, boots and clothes mostly, only go from tote to woods back to tote again. I'll only put my bottom layers on in the truck. I also religiously shower before every hunt. No other guys in camp the last two years have showered in the morning. I think you're crazy sleeping all night and then going hunting, but whatever...