Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scoring Trophies

saddlepants

central Ohio
I never took a shot at scoring any of my trophies and I know its never official unless its done before they are mounted and such but I was curious today and did it to my Avatar pic buck on the Boone and Crockett scoring calculator. 117 1/8. Whats the difference between Pope and Young and B&C?? I never really cared so I never got anything scored but people ask me about my mounts and I'm tired of saying " Duh, I dunno". I wanna do the other few I have but they are full mounts and will require extra hands later.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here... but I believe P&Y is for archery kills only, and the deer must score at least 125" net. B&C is gun or bow, and must be 170" net... I think.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jim is correct, P&Y is archery(no x-bow) and 125" minimum. Ohio Big Buck is bow,x-bow,shotgun and muzzy and 140" minimum. B&C is 170" typical and 195" non-typical. The 160" min. is award(just recognition) but disregard that score. 170" is the minimum you want TOO reach! :smiley_bril:

saddlepants

central Ohio
Ok thanks. I guess i wanted to know which was better. I havent scored the bigger one yet but he has one rebuilt point that I cant count. He is taller and wider though. At least I can have an idea of whats what on the wall if someone asks about them. I dont guess Im making score on any of them lol. All of them are crossbow. Havnet got anything with my new compound yet. Just got it this summer - first ya gotta see somthin to shoot somthin.
blind shot.jpg

when you pull your compound back at a sertain point it gets easier . its called let off . the first bows were under 50 percent . then went to do . then the hot thing was owning a bow with 65 percent . bob morrison used to drill the wheels as long ago as 30 years and re cable them . he could get as much as 90 percent let off . but had trouble with the martin cougers breaking at the handle . would leave a nasty mark with blood on his head . im thinking the bows now a days are 85 percent? so if your bow pulls 100 lbs you would be holding 15 lbs or so. ok , compound guys , am i correct?

saddlepants

central Ohio
Hmm, wonder what mine is - Ill have to look it up. Hell my bows only set at 40 lbs and thats pushin my limits for that part so the let off must be pretty good ,lol. Id like to get up to at least 50 someday