Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scouting and deer signs

10colton01

Hey everyone, I’ll go ahead and apologize in advance for not knowing the structure of the forum and how to search if this has already been answered so if this isn’t correct please let me know how y’all do it. My question is, since being a new bow hunter, how do you scout public land?
e.g. What are the terrain features that deer typically hang out in? (Where to find bedding, transition lines, etc).

I feel like when I’m in the woods I am just sitting in a random tree and hoping a deer walks by.

Thanks!

Bigcountry40

First thing I look for when scouting public land is tracks, the more tracks and poop I see, the better my chances. After I find a significant amount of track I try to find a staging area that is close to water or swamp. I also look for track that is close to pinch points such as saddles and places near swamp that are still cross-able when rain or rising water occurs.

A good time to get boots on the ground is January if there is a snow, muzzle loader season is not very crowded and you can do a lot of scouting while still hunting

Last edited:

Just 1 More

Tracks and trails,, find a trail with tracks, see if you can identify the direction of travel and walk it backwards to where they started,, as far as you can walk. Hopefully it'll lead you in to a bedroom.. find a good tree outside of the bedroom... a good snow gives away a lot of deer secrets

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Look for pinch points where deer must narrow their travel routes due to the creeks, cliffs, narrow spots where 2 brushy areas connect or whatever.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of solid input so far. I like it! My advice will not help you right now, but will for next season. Come Feb-March I love to hit the woods. Anytime before the woods start to green up again. There are no leaves. The deer have heaviest travel paths beat down. I learn a ton about their travel routes in late winter/early spring.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Lots of solid input so far. I like it! My advice will not help you right now, but will for next season. Come Feb-March I love to hit the woods. Anytime before the woods start to green up again. There are no leaves. The deer have heaviest travel paths beat down. I learn a ton about their travel routes in late winter/early spring.
X2!

Yep. My favorite time as well. Also a good time to maybe pack a call and a gun and do a little coyote calling. Snow during that time is even better.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shed hunting will also aid in both getting the lay of the land as well as getting their travel routes down.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

X3....Feb/March is when I do most of my scouting for the following season. Trails, rubs and scrapes are more visible, you’ll basically have the woods to yourself.

Gordo

Athens County
Gotta agree with everyone on scouting during late winter. If you burn some boot leather during that time, the lay of the land and how the deer use it will become a lot clearer.

Next thing you know, you'll know where to start when scouting new areas based off the areas you have already covered.

It's something I need to get back into the routine of doing.