Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This thread came to mind tonight, so I made it a sticky. I am going to cure everything this weekend on the pellet grill. It's a chore I neglect and a few pieces are long over due. Should be a good weekend for such a project! These are my kitchen pieces and this quarantine has them working overtime. If I didn't appreciate good cast iron already, being forced to cook every night has certainly endeared me to them even more.

20200410_185436.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love my cast iron skillets. Got a couple old Wagners that are pretty near and dear to my heart. My #8 get a LOT of work in the kitchen. It’s been through the standard seasoning routine, but nothing has compared to simply “using it.” The more I use it, the better it gets. One of the best things that ever happened to it was the one time I fried some greasy beef hamburgers in it. All that simmering rendered fat seasoned that skillet better than anything else.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
@bowhunter1023...Any problems cooking on the glass top electric range? There’s a crack disclaimer regarding glass top stoves using cast iron on top due to heat/weight issues.
That’s interesting Ben, we just installed a new glass top Jenn-Are and there was nothing mentioned in the literature about that. To me a big pot of water cooking pasta would be heavier in the long run. Ours does say to not slide rough surfaced cookware across the burners though.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Buckmaster

Portage
Ok. I have the same stove except a glass top. I recently bought lighter weight cast iron and I’m cooking on low until I crack it. I certainly miss my gas stove in my old house.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I also use cast iron on our glass top, only concern was scratching. After multiple years of use, not a single scratch. Love my iron!
Same. I used cast on our glass top for years as well as a pressure canner, never had an issue with scratching but then again I was never dragging stuff across the top... But we did recently upgrade to gas and man it's friggin nice.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Same. I used cast on our glass top for years as well as a pressure canner, never had an issue with scratching but then again I was never dragging stuff across the top... But we did recently upgrade to gas and man it's friggin nice.

Yeah I hate electric cooktops. Neither house has had a gas line for the stove. The next one will

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All I need to do is put a T in the line that's in my workshop, stem through the wall and use a "stylish" industrial hanger to run 20' of line, then stem up through the floor and I'm there. Nothing crazy, but I'd want to hire it out for liability and safety sake. I'd probably pay to have another 10' installed so I had a tap in the garage for a wall mount. That would be a nice add to our place.

Blan37

SW Ohio
It's not glass. But I hate it. I'm so close to getting a cost to run gas and switching over.
You won't regret it, man. We lucked out in that it was only about $400 to have a line run.

The only thing I don't care for in our setup is I bought an all gas range. I've learned since then that duel fuel is better for baking. If you don't use air bake pans or double up your regular pans it's easy to burn the bottom of whatever is on your baking sheets.

Reactions: bowhunter1023