Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Picked up a lodge set a couple of years ago and finally got around to seasoning them right. I'm not a fan of the "seaaon" they put on them from the factory so i redo them. I came across a rusted pan / pot combo at a garage sale last year and decided to reseason everything today. I usually dont like getting them from garage sales as you never know if someone did something stupid with them like melt lead, but if they're priced right its worth getting some lead test strips and testing them out when you get home.

20180317_145039.jpg

Things you'll need.

1. Real Lard.
2. Brillow pad and steel wool.
3. Old pan to keep melted lard in.
4. Brush or mop for coating pans.
5. Large piece of cardboard.
6. The understanding that you're going to burn yourself at least twice.

Start by scrubbing off all the old season from the new pans. Since that seasoning is really just spray on surface stuff thats pretty easy to do with just a brillow pad. For the rusted items, steel wool works great. You don't have to scrub the pans until you can see new metal, just a good hard scrubbing to clean up and remove the rust.

While you can do this inside with your oven i prefer outside on the smoker or grill as it makes a good mess and a lot of smoke from the lard.

I start by getting a big load of coals in the smoker and get the internal temp up between 350 - 400. Put the pans in for 30 minutes or so to get them up to temp.

20180317_124728.jpg

Place the lard in a pan and melt it. If your smoker has a warming shelf that's a good place to keep it . After the pans get up to temp take them out one by one and brush them liberally with the melted lard until they're dripping, then put them back in the smoker. It is helpful if you place a large piece of cardboard on the ground to set a pans on when you take it out of the smoker. This allows you to set the pan down and really slather them in lard. It also allows you to quickly pull or replace a pan and close the smoker door keeping the rest of the pans hot. The pans should be hot enough that when the lard hits them they sizzle and smoke. I place the pans back in the smoker for another 15-20 minutes until they're back up to temp and the lard starts to cook off. Repeat this for 3 or 4 cycles and they should be good and heavily seasoned.

Pull them all from the smoker and lay them on the cardboard the cool and dry, wipe any excess lard from them with paper towels while they're still warm. After they cool bring them inside and wash with soap, hot water, and a soft bristled kitchen brush. Don't scub, but rather you're just trying to get any leftover greasy lard off. This should be the only time you ever wash cast iron in the sink with soap and water.

Once you're done they should be deeply seasoned with a great look and color.

20180317_151608.jpg

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
nice job. I hear flax seed oil is very good, too. love my cast iron! polishing it smooth is all the rage now, apparently. you can even buy it already polished. http://www.stargazercastiron.com/ I'm tempted, but that price.:eek:

I lean towards the older ways and prefer lard. Never heard of flax seed oil but have seen people say vegetable oil like crisco. Interesting concept on polishing.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've done it with flax seed oil and it didn't last long. Also flax seed oil is roughly the same price as gold. It's absurd.

I tend to use regular Crisco when I season my cast iron. Or when I'm putting it away for storage. I haven't tried lard yet but I want to give it a go.

I had a set of old (1950s) Wagoner skillets and I like them because they are smooth as glass, not rough in texture like newer skillets.

I love cast iron cooking, but one thing I can't seem to get the hang of is cooking bacon in one. Shit always ends up caramelizing and the sticky residue burns into a soot in the bottom of the skillet. I've tried every temperature, every method of heating it.... Doesn't seem to make a difference. First batch or two comes off good, then as the grease simmers it turns to sticky burning bullshit. It's so frustrating.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've done it with flax seed oil and it didn't last long. Also flax seed oil is roughly the same price as gold. It's absurd.

I tend to use regular Crisco when I season my cast iron. Or when I'm putting it away for storage. I haven't tried lard yet but I want to give it a go.

I had a set of old (1950s) Wagoner skillets and I like them because they are smooth as glass, not rough in texture like newer skillets.

I love cast iron cooking, but one thing I can't seem to get the hang of is cooking bacon in one. Shit always ends up caramelizing and the sticky residue burns into a soot in the bottom of the skillet. I've tried every temperature, every method of heating it.... Doesn't seem to make a difference. First batch or two comes off good, then as the grease simmers it turns to sticky burning bullshit. It's so frustrating.

Jim, I gave up on cast iron and bacon and just cook it in the oven now.... Comes out just as good with less grease on em...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim, I gave up on cast iron and bacon and just cook it in the oven now.... Comes out just as good with less grease on em...

I also use the oven or the toaster oven. It's the principle that bothers me. I wanna fry my eggs in fresh grease! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Flaxseed oil is great, until it starts chipping. Gets super hard then tend to flake off.

I use Crisco. The biggest factor in a correct seasoning is no matter the oil to go past its smoke point a bit. That leads to the oil going into polymerization. That nice, hard, non-stick coating. I do Crisco then 350ish for a half hour then up to 450 for another half hour.

I just picked up an old Griswold and Wagner that I redid. Funny thing is the cheap "Made in Taiwan" from the 60's is my best cooker.

With Joe using the smoker it helps aid in forming the coating. Good write up.

Now make some Dutch Baby's in them!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep, bacon is almost always in the oven now. No smoke and actually tastes. I'd never thought it but it does.

Jamie

Ohio
I've never actually used flax seed oil, and probably won't bother now. I've always used Crisco to season my iron. always bake bacon, too. I use the convection bake setting on my oven to cook bacon. cooks it faster, seems to burn the edges less this way.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There’s actually a 2 piece pan/rack that he bacon sits on top and the grease goes below and keeps it nice and pretty much grease free lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Like you guys i do my bacon in the oven. I always pan fried it but gave the oven method a shot. I can tell you i'll never cook a pound of bacon in a skillet ever again. I think it tastes and cooks better in the oven.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like you guys i do my bacon in the oven. I always pan fried it but gave the oven method a shot. I can tell you i'll never cook a pound of bacon in a skillet ever again. I think it tastes and cooks better in the oven.

If you haven’t tried it yet, do the hard boiled eggs in there as well...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you haven’t tried it yet, do the hard boiled eggs in there as well...

Interesting. We do ours in an instant pot. Cup of water, dozen eggs, hit the button and walk away. Come back in 10 minutes and hit the pressure release valve. Takes all of 15 minutes.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Haven’t tried that method yet, oven, 350 30 minutes and drop in ice water for 10 minutes. Shells come right off.. I do them in a cupcake tin, one egg in each holder.

Buckmaster

Portage
A friend of mine picked up some garage sale cast iron...they were in pretty bad shape. He ended up sandblasting them then seasoned similar to Joe's method. They came out brand new in appearance when completed.

I use the oven/cookie sheet method to cook my bacon over aluminum foil. The grease I save into a small container and keep in the freezer to cook my future eggs with.