Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should I be worried?

scottofalltrades

Hey guys,

I was working MN not long ago and was able to pick up some pheasant wings. I have been tying one to a canvas dummy and throwing it out for my 4 month old lab.

My worry is that he sometimes won't let go. Tonight he actually got the feathers off the dummy and put a death grip on it. This was towards the end of our session and wanted to end on a high note. He had done great except this last toss.

Any tips on getting him to let go when he refuses? I tried ear pinching and putting his jowls between his teeth. Finally had to force his Jaws open. Should I be worried or just chock it up as a bad time and a love for feathers?

loose_is_fast

McClure
If it happens again get down beside him and blow in his ear. He will immediately release. This little trick works like a charm. Eventually if he is a repeat offender when you touch his ear he will know what is coming next and release before you have to blow. It sounds odd but I would bet the farm he will release

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I used to do that too our white Sheppard when I was a kid while playing fetch with her... My dad taught me that and you bringing it up brought back the memories lol.... Thanks for bringing that up.....