Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
you are braver than me. an outdoor wood burning heating system like that is a far bigger commitment than I'm willing to make to gathering firewood. at the end of the day, if I don't have any firewood, or don't feel like making, babysitting a fire, I still have a very nice propane furnace that keeps my pipes from freezing. Still, firewood is the best bargain in home heating if you are able to get wood for nothing more than your own time and effort.
No doubt about it. There is a commitment when you drop money on an outdoor boiler. I've had mine a good while. Sure has saved me a ton on gas and propane though. We used to heat the shop with propane. Have natural gas at the road for the house. Outdoor boiler heats both.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
you are braver than me. an outdoor wood burning heating system like that is a far bigger commitment than I'm willing to make to gathering firewood. at the end of the day, if I don't have any firewood, or don't feel like making, babysitting a fire, I still have a very nice propane furnace that keeps my pipes from freezing. Still, firewood is the best bargain in home heating if you are able to get wood for nothing more than your own time and effort.

True, once below freezing temps are the norm you must keep it going. I have a water temp regulator which I can turn down to help reduce the amount of wood I need to burn if I get close to running out but I haven’t had that problem yet.

There has been a couple years since I started running it back in 2005 where I never even started it up but I blew the lines those years. One year it was so mild it really didn’t get much lower than 30, really crazy winter! I just burned propane those years. The other year was brutal cuz they gouged the price cuz of that freeze and propane went over $4/gal that year! That was BS,IMO.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I cut and stack a 4x8 trailer full of wood every year, but burning in a zero clearance fireplace with no built in fan and no vent for outside combustion air probably costs me money. Little can be done to improve it. I've to talked with two different fireplace companies about inserts. One will install and one won't. The one company doesn't want the liability of burning my house down by installing in a space meant for zero clearance. I'll trust that guy. So we burn when we want to have a nice recreational fire and let the natgas heat the home.

twireman

Kingston, OH
My woodpile just expanded! Rhis is the biggest tree I’ve cut solo. Went smoothly. Standing dead white oak.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good work! I don't drop them. I mean, I've dropped standing dead ash trees IN THE WOODS. Nothing that big or anywhere close that I can damage. I let tree service guys drop them. Get plenty of wood from people who cannot handle splitting trunks that large. Skid loader, dump truck, and skid loader mounted splitter has delivered many cords of wood to my family. Most people simply cannot handle a 4-5' diameter trunk unless they quarter it up. You da man Twireman!

twireman

Kingston, OH
Most people simply cannot handle a 4-5' diameter trunk unless they quarter it up. You da man Twireman!

You are spot on man. Im only taking the top and rounds up to around 20”. He has a front loader and the logs will be picked up With it and delivered to my dads sawmill. I have no interest in splitting wood that big

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
TTT. It is that time of the year again. Even doing fairly well staying ahead of things this year. Kind of sucks when you are around first of the year and slopping thru the mid or ice to gather firewood. Here are the two 10' dump bed loads from yesterday all cut to length/split/stacked.

I have a pile measuring 20*16*6' tall. I rounded down. Most places it is 7' tall. This puts me around 15 cords. I'd say 14+ cords is a conservatively number. I have some more coming my way too. It will be nice to have some left over going into next winter if possible.

I got to try out the 32" bar on my MS461 saw as well! Nothing like a new saw and chain to get the testosterone flowing. Better respect this sized saw as well. When she kicks back it isn't a 40-50cc saw in your hands and you know it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190908_133331.jpg
    IMG_20190908_133331.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_20190908_133243.jpg
    IMG_20190908_133243.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20190907_120119.jpg
    IMG_20190907_120119.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_20190907_112644.jpg
    IMG_20190907_112644.jpg