Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sika deer

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Today we went to Miyajima Island.

It's loaded with tame sika deer. Here are a few pictures.

This little guy didn't seem to like me much and tried to push me away. I'm thinking he could feel my "predatory" aura and wanted me gone (either that or it was because I didn't have any food for him).

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This little guy has NO IDEAL how lucky he was. Not many button bucks survive being with in yards, much less inches, of one of the USA's most notorious button buck serial killers. Oh the pressure was almost to much. Thank goodness for cheetos therapy.

This majestic stag was one of the bigger bucks (about 70 to 80 pounds live weight). They cut the antlers off for obvious reasons. I did see one buck with horns, but couldn't get a good picture of him.

You know it's been over 10 years since I've lived someplace where the leaves change in the Fall. It's very refreshing.

Yum!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those pictures were awesome TF! Did you have to call your therapist to talk you down when the BB was tempting you? The leaves and scenery were beautiful!

rrr

This little guy has NO IDEAL how lucky he was. Not many button bucks survive being with in yards, much less inches, of one of the USA's most notorious button buck serial killers. Oh the pressure was almost to much. Thank goodness for cheetos therapy.
rotflmao

Thanks for sharing TF, that looks really cool!

badger

*Supporting Member*
Great pics!

My buddy and I came real close to booking a Sika hunt in Maryland a few years back. Every now and then it gets brought back up. I would love to have one of those mini elk on the wall!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very cool.
Thanks for the post
Its interesting to see other places like that.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great pics TF!!

To me it sees kinda weird that they have octopus on a stick, but they're missing out on all of that delicious venison just walking around?? I'm a big fan of calamari, but I don't know about those stick things.... :smiley_cook:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Great pics TF!!

To me it sees kinda weird that they have octopus on a stick, but they're missing out on all of that delicious venison just walking around?? I'm a big fan of calamari, but I don't know about those stick things.... :smiley_cook:

I didn't try any yet, but maybe next time.

Here are a few more pictures.

Here is one of my little buddy......

And a few of the racked buck.

Believe it or not, but sika deer racks actually get pretty heavy with age too. This deer is young. They had some for sale, that were SUPER pricey, that had more mass than most 120 class whitetails.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Hey TF, were any of the racks more than a 3x3?

Not many. I think I found one rack for sale that was a 4X4. You wouldn't believe what they charge for a set of antlers. How about $400.... And that's for a small rack. A biggen is $500+.

Great pics Chuck. Thanks for the overseas education. Did you try the octopus on a stick?

Nope, I never did. I will eventually; if nothing else but for the face book picture.:smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a thought. Get your octopuss on a stick, and put it on a platter of Cheetos! Photo opportunity!