Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snapping Turtles

Flathead76

Athens
It used to be legal to bow shoot them. I guess they changed it. I never liked shooting em anyway. Whenever I had newbees in the the boat and we saw one they'd invariably wanna shoot it...I basically told em 1...If you shoot it your taking it home and eating it. 2 If you shoot it Im not helping you in any way to land it or get the arrow back out of the sucker....Detered a lot of turtle shooting. Early in the yr we'd see a lot and I would often maneuver the boat up next to them and lie down and grab em off the bottom. Caught some pretty big ones that way.
Exactly. Shooting a turtle with fiberglass is a hot mess.

pat8228

View attachment 45291

This is a pic of a pic, so sorry about the quality. Anyone else see this? Don't laugh too hard, but my uncle works with a guy who says this is his nephew in the pic and the turtle came from near Cotty in the Jefferson County area. Supposedly they pulled it out near a tributary to the Ohio. No specs on size other than its massive as fugg!
Not trying to start any controversy here, but it looks like the turtle is close to the camera while the people are standing back a few feet making it look much bigger than it actually is. It's an old fish pic trick, hold the fish away from you towards the camera and it looks bigger. Just my 2cents. Lol