Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snare Preparation for Coyotes

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got a bunch of snares and anchors in the mail today... All rigged up and ready to go. But my question is, what do you seasoned snaring veterans do to prepare them for the trap line? I've done a little reading on the interwebs and I can't seem to get anything consistent. Some swear by boiling in baking soda. Some swear that that is the worst thing you could do, and recommend dipping in products called "formula 1" or "full metal jacket" instead. Then to complicate matters even more, some don't do anything at all to their snares and swear it doesn't make any difference! So what the hell should I do with these things???

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've caught yotes with undyed and dyed snares, I prefer to dye them. Some say that it rusts the cable when you dye them but I haven't had any break because of it. I boiled mine for 10-15 minutes in logwood dye. Not sure what the stuff is my buddy is using but I like it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I bought the black this last time just to see what it was like. But before that, I would roll up a dozen so they would fit in a Coffee can. Get it to barely boiling and SLOWLY put baking soda in the water (It will boil over on you!) I have never had snares get weak as some have said. The baking soda will de-scent them, remove oils and dull the shine. After a few minutes, I would remove coffee can, place in the sink, then run hot water in to overflow it and remove any oils in the water.

This next time around, I am going to order earlier and degrease in dawn. Then hit them with a thin coat of flat black or flat grey paint. Then let them air out awhile.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought the black this last time just to see what it was like. But before that, I would roll up a dozen so they would fit in a Coffee can. Get it to barely boiling and SLOWLY put baking soda in the water (It will boil over on you!) I have never had snares get weak as some have said. The baking soda will de-scent them, remove oils and dull the shine.

This next time around, I am going to order earlier and degrease in dawn. Then hit them with a thin coat of flat black or flat grey paint. Then let them air out awhile.

What is a typical boiling time to remove the shine?

OO2

In the Uplands
I did mine in baking soda and caught three in a few weeks. I heard that it rusts them out though. We will see how that goes. I dyed my remaining ones and we will see if that helps at all.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Dakota line dip is what my buddy uses. The 3/32 snare I posted a pic of is logwood dye, the 5/64 is Dakota line dip.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dakota line dip is what my buddy uses. The 3/32 snare I posted a pic of is logwood dye, the 5/64 is Dakota line dip.
Thanks for checking on it. I may order some. I was hoping to get some set by this weekend, so maybe I'll boil some and then save some for the dip later.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks for checking on it. I may order some. I was hoping to get some set by this weekend, so maybe I'll boil some and then save some for the dip later.
That's what I'd do, at least get some out. The first year I started snaring I didn't do shit to them, caught 2 right off the bat lol.

oakswamper

around Toledo
When my wife isn't home I run mine through the dishwasher just to get any oils out of them. Then I load the dishwasher with dirty dishes so she doesn't know

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When my wife isn't home I run mine through the dishwasher just to get any oils out of them. Then I load the dishwasher with dirty dishes so she doesn't know

Haha that is awesome. I can only imagine the look I'd get if my wife caught me washing snares in the dishwasher!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Baking soda is fine but i prefer to let em boil in dye for about an hour or so to darken em up a little.
Seriously though if ya set em right on a good trail you will catch em either way.
When they are cruising down the trail that is just another weed to them