Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snare Preparation for Coyotes

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
X2 to the above posts. I haven't caught near as many as winder, Rick, or Carl but it never gets old. Every day is like Christmas, and when you got one caught, it's a rush like none other!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ordered online. It only really takes a couple ounces to do it. Coil all your snares and wrap them inside the bottom of a bucket. Add some sauce and switsh it around . Once coated pull them out and let them drip dry from a nail or wire and pour what is left back in the jug. I use a screen to filter the dip if I need to but a clean bucket it what I would use

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How'd it go, Jim?
It went very well I think. I only put out 8 of the 12 snares I had prepared. There were a few other spots I considered setting but they seemed marginal so I just decided to start slow. I feel like I set them correctly and in some good spots. I just have some anxiety about it though... I can't stop thinking about all the deer at this property and how I hope to God one doesn't stick its neck through a snare! I made all my loops about 10" in diameter with the bottom of the loop 8-10" off the ground. I know a deer would have to go out of its way to get caught, but knowing my luck anything can happen. We'll see. 8:00 am can't get here soon enough
Ordered online. It only really takes a couple ounces to do it. Coil all your snares and wrap them inside the bottom of a bucket. Add some sauce and switsh it around . Once coated pull them out and let them drip dry from a nail or wire and pour what is left back in the jug. I use a screen to filter the dip if I need to but a clean bucket it what I would use
Gotcha, man. Thank you. I've read nothing but good things about snares with FMJ. I may just order some.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
One of the main things I learned the hard way: Just make sure there is nothing over top of your snare. Some old timers would say "deer jump over and coyotes duck under" That's only true on fences. Truth is deer will duck it and let the branches roll off their back.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I did a couple last year with the logwood dye Chad talked about. It does a good job:

About half way through
IMG_0855.jpg

All done
IMG_0856.jpg