Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spencie's 2018 Turkeys

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I really look forward to your turkey videos! Up close and personal, especially when they scream right at your camera...
Thats a cool bearded hen TOO!

Reactions: Spencie

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool videos man. Didn't they disappear on you last year right before season?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had them all of March and the first 3 weeks of April. Few and far between after that. Had them on cam breeding in mid-March.
Strange how they bust up like that. The place we hunt they don't show up until a few weeks before season. Theory is they start to establish a pecking orders in their winter flock and start to bust up. The hens fight it out for dominate bird and some split off dragging other hens with them. The toms follow. The other theory is that hens traditionally nest in the same area year after year and they move off from the winter flock where food was plentiful during the winter to their breeding locations and the toms naturally follow. One thing is for sure the hens show up first and the toms come a couple weeks later.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I say it every year. Our turkey season comes in way too late. That vid with the three stutters is awesome.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great videos Mike. The 3 strutters are as good as it gets! Do you locate these cams in the same places every year or are you picking up on sign and hanging over the sign?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Do you locate these cams in the same places every year or are you picking up on sign and hanging over the sign?

I have found 5 strutting areas on our place that I set my cams on. 4 of them are basically together and I typically get them on 2 or 3 cameras in a row. We have about 125 yards of ridge top running south from our food plot. One cam is halfway and the other on the point. Our ridge splits down 2 points from there. I have a cam on the 4 wheeler path on both points one flat down. I have cams on most of the points and in food plots but they aren't nearly as consistent as these spots. Through March I give them a reason to spend more time in front of the camera.

This is on the ridge looking back at food plot. I have killed a bird in this spot 3 of the last 4 years.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Absolutely my favorite of anything you've posted Mike is the Bird Spiting and Drumming in the Snow.. Definitely the TITS! This is an instructional video in how to kill them when they don't gobble and are close!!!!! My favorite by FAR.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Absolutely my favorite of anything you've posted Mike is the Bird Spiting and Drumming in the Snow.. Definitely the TITS! This is an instructional video in how to kill them when they don't gobble and are close!!!!! My favorite by FAR.
X2. The snow videos are bad ass!