Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Staining bleached out antlers

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was told to stain it dark as I wanted the bases. Then use steel wool at base of tine and squeese harder as I go towards the tip in a sanding motion.

Last edited:

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Used some coffee and tea mixed together. Did some brushing, then just grabbed it and rubbed it in with my hands.
Let it dry, then hit the bases with the air compressor to remove the grinds and wiped it off.

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Not perfect, but added color and looks much better.

Now if I can just get this damn coffee smell off my hands.

before 1.jpg after 2.jpg

before 2.jpg after 1.jpg

IMG_7953.jpg

Reactions: Wildlife

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
6 or 7 out of 10? The pictures must do it a lot of justice then. I think it looks great.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks pretty good to me Larry but if your hands smell strong how strong does the antler smell? Would switching to decaf help or maybe some cream and sugar?rotflmao

It turned out better than I expected...:smiley_clap:

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Didn't give it a 10 as I think it looks a little bit too tan/yellow than a natural one. Maybe I should have used a darker blend???

And I have no idea what kind of coffee it was, as it was whatever my wife scooped into the cup. I don't drink the shit, but choose to yellow my teeth with iced tea instead.

Gordo

Athens County
Used some coffee and tea mixed together. Did some brushing, then just grabbed it and rubbed it in with my hands.
Let it dry, then hit the bases with the air compressor to remove the grinds and wiped it off.

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Not perfect, but added color and looks much better.

Now if I can just get this damn coffee smell off my hands.

View attachment 59723 View attachment 59724

View attachment 59725 View attachment 59726

View attachment 59727

That looks great man

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I’ve just started staining a couple of my bleached sheds. I found a recipe that works well on You-Tube. A potassium permanganate and water solution. It applies with a sponge or brush as a purple water color, then dries as a brown tint. It works great!

JC HUNTER

I was told to stain it dark as I wanted the bases. Then use steel wool at base of tine and squeese harder as I go towards the tip in a sanding motion.

If you're having a little trouble with the motion just ask your mom for help. I hear her technique is impeccable! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: giles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’ve just started staining a couple of my bleached sheds. I found a recipe that works well on You-Tube. A potassium permanganate and water solution. It applies with a sponge or brush as a purple water color, then dries as a brown tint. It works great!
Post up those before and after pictures