Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steelhead in the Maumee?

I was bank fishing during the walleye run, several years ago and got hooked up with a fish that was headed back to Lake Erie. I was using a heavy duty bass rod, 12# test line and a Shimano baitcaster reel. Even with the drag set as heavy as I dare, for the pound test line that I was using, it wasn't enough to slow this fish down.

The guys fishing around me were nice enough to let me play it for a couple of minutes, but then one them said that I had no chance of landing it. This guy said I should wrap my hand around the line and back up until it breaks. I did what he asked and got about 80 yards of my line back, but never turned the fish.

I asked the guys standing there what had I hooked into and they all agreed it was a steelhead.

Has anyone ever caught a steelhead in the Maumee?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Same thing happened to me in the early 2000's....I hooked it, a large silver fish jumped about 3 times in a row and headed for lake erie....took over 100 yards of line off my spool in about 5 seconds once it decided to turn the other way....

Yes there are some steel in the maumee....there are lots of them in Lake erie...not uncommon at all I would say....but you don't see many of them landed in the maumee with all of that current.

Gern186 said:
Yes there are some steel in the maumee....there are lots of them in Lake erie...not uncommon at all I would say....but you don't see many of them landed in the maumee with all of that current.
Gern186,
Therefore my reasoning for fishing from my kayak. I've landed some seriously huge fish from my kayak that would've freaked out, swam harder and probably broken my line...if I were on the bank. I've been kayak fishing for over 2 years and won't fish any other way. I catch more fish, better fish, there are no bugs, nobody bothers me and it's just plain fun. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
If you are going to fish from a Kayak in the maumee....may I suggest you take out a huge life insurance policy for your wife and kids before doing so...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I believe there was. I've never hooked into a steelhead during the run, but I've caught a decent number of Kings in the fall.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here's a couple from Buttonwood in November some years back.
20130226124341542_0001.jpg

Gern186,
I agree with you, but I'm NOT going if the flows are high. As of lately, the water levels have been very low and so have been the flows. However, that may very well change with spring rains, runoff, ground thaws, etc. It'll be a situation of "wait and see", before I put my kayak in that river.

I've got years of experience in whitewater kayaking, but that has nothing to do with kayak fishing, as they are 2 different sports. Just the same, it has taught me about what to stay away from and what's safe.

Bowhunter57

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
You may very well end up in the water, but anyone who can swim should survive that current.

I've heard stories of guys catching them in the Maumee. Kinda surprised there isn't more of a fishery for them. I don't know enough to know why they're in the Vermillion and Rocky but not Maumee. Don't follow the movements enough.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Well I suppose that could be accurate Mike, though I highly doubt the water temps differ that much from all of those rivers. I know the temps affect the bite.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Some make it in there every fall and winter so we know they can survive in there. I hear swan creek is loaded with them when the time is right.