Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

suggestions

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Here is the situation,

My gf never hunted before, but is interested in sitting with me not sure she wants to kill yet. I do not want to pressure her into killing, but I would love if she hunted.

My question is, do you think setting up a ground blind near/in a foodplot this coming weekend would mess with the deer at all? I dont like blinds in the middle of the woods.

I already have my bow stands set, but thought a blind might be ok, across the plot from them for rainy days or days I bring her or my lil cousin to hunt with me.

Will it screw up the area?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you are going to do it, I'd get it done this weekend and make sure to brush it in as well as you can. I like to take a shovel and clear out all the leaves and grass inside the blind, then use pine shavings to cover the floor for a nice, quiet base. If it were me, I'd set the blind for the prevailing winds in that area and make sure the access is as flawless as possible because getting out of the blind after dark will be of the utmost importance for maintaining the integrity of that spot. You are not going to screw up anything by setting that blind now, but I'd do it sooner than later...

Here is a look at a blind set up over looking a trail along the creek bottom on my uncle's far. Taking the time to brush these blinds in is well worth the effort...

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I don't think so. I put them up all the time in the middle of season to take kids hunting. Just takes them a week or so to get comfortable with it. I have put them up and hunted the same day with success as long as you brush it in well. But I would not put one up this early do to theft and fading. I normally loose one a year to fading so bad. Not from sitting for so long at one time but just from years of use and the weather taking its toll on them.

BuckeyeBuck

My opinion would be to do it now, brush it in. That way if the deer do even notice it by the time the season rolls around they will be accustom to it. and P.S. if the lady is interested in sitting with you...........DO IT! Maybe she will develop a passion for hunting as do all of us here. And if that happens Rock On! Also it may help you get to hunt more with out the same old question..........Are you going again? Wait thats just my wife that asks that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have had plenty of guys give me shit over the years about taking my wife hunting and I'm here to tell you that I do not regret doing so for a single minute. Fluteman will back me up on this as well. My wife and I started dating in January of '03 and she killed her first deer in December of that year on one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on. Since then, she has killed a deer every year we have been together. With her being pregnant this year, we may need to put an * next to this season, but there is hope she will be recovered in time for muzzleloader and we will keep it alive! She has taken deer with a muzzleloader, crossbow, and killed her first deer with a compound last fall. Hunting with me has shown her my love of the sport from an entirely different perspective and she respects my space when it comes to hunting the prime time. I never take shit for hunting and spending the amount of time and money I do on the sport thanks in large part to having a different understanding of things than most women. We have shared some great memories in the woods and I hope you and your lady can share some as well.

The night she killed the button buck may very well be the best and most memorable hunt I have ever been on. It was an intense night of hunting and to see her stay calm, then pole ax this deer at 30 yards with her Mathews Mustang was priceless. Greg was able to film his wife shoot a heck of a buck last fall and it is no doubt something those two will never forget. Sharing the outdoors with your better half is well worth the time, effort, frustration, and money IMO. Good luck getting her out there!!!

jeremy44230

Medina County
I say get her out there and spend the time with her! I would love it if my wife was interested! Hunting is all our passions and if you can share it with a wife or GF, what better way to become closer is there? If nothing else, she may understand the obsession better if she went with ya!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Take her along. Diane has been hunting for 5 years and loves it. Sure helps them understand our love of the sport and also what all goes with it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks for all the nice words guys. When I met her she loved doing country boy shit, but just hunted. She has started to show interest to go with me, so I am really hoping she can develop a love for it, but I do not want to push her. I think if she was able to get into the stand once, and see some deer it would just make her realize that feeling you get deep down in when you see that first slick walk by. Hell then if she sticks with it and sees a big old buck, pssh that feelings better then anything in the world!

Great stories Jesse!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I think the groundblind idea is great AT. You can get away with a lot more from a blind then you can from a tree, plus there is an awesome feeling being eye level with a deer not 20y away! As Jesse said, I shared the best hunting experience of my life with my wife in a blind last year, and it was well worth the time and effort I put into teaching her to shoot a bow.

Do yourself a favor if you ever decide to take her in a treestand, and make sure the stand isn't too high and is easy to climb into. I made that mistake the first stand hunt I took my wife on (long before she got a bow) and she couldn't even make it into the stand because she was so terrified of the height and the tiny platform. Now that she is use to it, she'll climb 25' up like a champ.

Bottom line, have patience. You will get frustrated, you will get irritated, but everytime you do, remember you've got someone that is willing to step out of her comfort zone and do something she may not necessarily want to do, just to spend more time together and become closer to you.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
thanks for all the nice words guys. When I met her she loved doing country boy shit, but just hunted. She has started to show interest to go with me, so I am really hoping she can develop a love for it, but I do not want to push her. I think if she was able to get into the stand once, and see some deer it would just make her realize that feeling you get deep down in when you see that first slick walk by. Hell then if she sticks with it and sees a big old buck, pssh that feelings better then anything in the world!

Great stories Jesse!

VERY GOOD IDEA not to push her. And be very patient when she makes mistakes. (Diane took an EXTREMELY BAD SHOT the first time she pulled the trigger~~But dropped the deer in her tracks ~~she was hooked after that) Keep in mind she is starting from scratch. Getting her out when it's still warm will help alot. If she gets pumped and liking it, it's easier to tolerate the cold. I hope it works for you.