Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Te last two days!

Kaiser878

ohio
Thank goodness for ringers. They can turn a bad day into a real good day real quick!

THe boy looking for some action!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Tape worm ducks yuk!! zach did you stud that dog out yet?

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Tape worm ducks yuk!! zach did you stud that dog out yet?

No, the female wont be in heat until late january/early february. So it is scheduled. THe demand is much higher thsi time than last. I already have 3 or 4 pups reserved. I get about 1 or 2 calls or texts a week or two weeks from people wanting one. It is pretty much guranteed to be a solid litter of chocolates. THe only color IMO. haha

Kaiser878

ohio
Leo's turning into quite the gray-beard! Great pics buddy.

Ya he is for sure. He just turned 7! THe dog has lived a rough life! ha I dont know if how much you hunt a dog will age them quicker or not? He still has that fire though when it comes to birds! He loves his ringnecks! haha

Here is a pic from canada

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A buddy of mine is having his female pointing lab bred this winter and I think I might try to get one of the pups. I grew up with labradors but this would be the first that totally my own. It sure looks like fun owning a good hunting dog! Lot's of work, I know... But I think I'm ready for it. I need something to add a little more routine to my life and a child isn't an option... not yet anyway. lmao

Kaiser878

ohio
Ya having a dog makes hunting a lot more fun, for me anyway. I honestly dont like duck hunting without my dog. Hes like my kid, and you are right.....they are a ton of work. THe thought of having to train another one makes me cringe....i think its more the idea of having to get another one because the other (Leo) is gone!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My other good buddy has a yellow lab that's about 7 or 8 I think... He's one hell of a dog. But damn he definitely shows his age more than other non-hunting labs. The dog's almost deaf, too... I think it's from having his head sticking out of the blind all those years with shotguns ringing out.

One thing about duck hunting and dogs... A good duck dog makes the hunt 100 times better... Whereas a shitty duck dog makes things miserable. I'd rather hunt without a dog at all vs. hunt with one that won't mind the way it should.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ya having a dog makes hunting a lot more fun, for me anyway. I honestly dont like duck hunting without my dog. Hes like my kid, and you are right.....they are a ton of work. THe thought of having to train another one makes me cringe....i think its more the idea of having to get another one because the other (Leo) is gone!

I love my dog and I know how much you love Leo. There's no better buddy in all the world!!!

Kaiser878

ohio
My other good buddy has a yellow lab that's about 7 or 8 I think... He's one hell of a dog. But damn he definitely shows his age more than other non-hunting labs. The dog's almost deaf, too... I think it's from having his head sticking out of the blind all those years with shotguns ringing out.

One thing about duck hunting and dogs... A good duck dog makes the hunt 100 times better... Whereas a shitty duck dog makes things miserable. I'd rather hunt without a dog at all vs. hunt with one that won't mind the way it should.

Don't get me wrong. Leo definately has his moments. There's times I wanna wrap my gun around his head. But from what I've read and heard....that's pretty damn typical of a male.chocolate lab.
Leo has plenty of flaws. He was the first dog I ever trained. I got lucky in that he has an amazing nose and loves birds. Although, I did a lot wrong when I trained him but I can't complain. Hes a good dog. And it is always interesting having him around. You never know what the knucklehead will do.

Last edited: